The Behaviour and Design of Cylindrical Shell Structures
The buckling and collapse behaviour of shells is a complex subject about which numerous books have been written.
This chapter is intended to serve as a simple introduction to the behaviour and design of a restricted class of shells, namely cylindrical shells stiffened by ring or orthogonal stiffeners.
The treatment is non-mathematical with an emphasis on explaining the behaviour of the components. This is demonstrated by reference to the results of numerical analyses.
The geometries considered are typical of the main leg components of offshore rig legs and where specialist design rules are mentioned they are taken from the area of offshore design.
KeywordsCylindrical Shell Axial Compression Local Buckling Cylindrical Panel Lateral Deflection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arbocz, J.: Past, present and future of shell stability analysis, Delft University of Tech, Department of Aerospace Eng Rept. LR-320, 1981Google Scholar
- 2.Timoshenko, S.: Einige Stabilitats — Probleme der Elastizitats — Theorie, Zeit Math. Phys., Vol 58, no 4, 1910.Google Scholar
- 3.Southwell, R.V.: On the general theory of elastic stability, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc, London, Series A, no 213, 1914.Google Scholar
- 4.Von Mises, R.: Der kritische Ausserdruck zylinderischer Rohre, Z. Ver. Deutsch. Ing., vol 58, 1914, pp 750–755, English transl: David Taylor Model Basin Translation no. 5, Aug. 1931.Google Scholar
- 5.Wilson, W.M. and Newmark, N.M.: The strength of thin cylindrical shells as columns, Univ of Illinois, Eng. Station Bull. no. 255, 1933.Google Scholar
- 6.Donneil, LH.: A new theory for the buckling of thin cylinders under axial compression and bending, Trans. ASME, vol. 56, no. 11, Nov. 1934, pp795–806.Google Scholar
- 8.Batdorf, S.B., Schildcrout, M. and Stein, M.: Critical stress of thin walled cylinders in axial compression, NACA report. 887, 1947.Google Scholar
- 9.Schilling, CG.: Buckling strength of circular tubes, Proc. ASCE, J. Struct. Div., vol 91, ST5, Oct 1965, pp325.Google Scholar
- 10.Donneil, LH.: Stability of thin-walled tubes under torsion, NACA Rept. 479, 1933.Google Scholar
- 11.Esslinger, M. and Geier, B.: Calculated post-buckling loads as lower limits for the buckling loads of thin-walled circular cylinders, Buckling of Structures, Proc IUTAM Symp. edit by Budiansky, B.: Harvard Univ. Springer-Verlag, 1976, pp274–290.Google Scholar
- 12.Vandepitte, D.: Buckling of Shell Structures, Constructional Steel Design, An International Guide, to be published by Elsevier Applied Science Publishers, 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Eslinger, M.E. and Geier, B.M.: Buckling and post-bucking behaviour of thin-walled circular cylinders, International Colloquium on Progress of Shell Structures in the last 10 years and its future development, Madrid, 1969.Google Scholar
- 14.Dowling, P.J. and Harding, J.E.: Current research into the strength of cylindrical shells used in steel jacket construction. Proc. BOSS 79, Imperial College, London, August 1979.Google Scholar
- 15.Dowling, P.J. and Harding, J.E.: Experimental behaviour of ring and stringer stiffened shells. International conference on buckling of shells in offshore structures, Imperial College, April 1981.Google Scholar
- 16.Harding, J.E.: The elasto-plastic analysis of imperfect cylinders, Proc. Instn. Civ. Engrs. Part 2, Vol 65, December 1978.Google Scholar
- 17.Dowling, P.J. and Harding, J.E.: The strength of steel jacket leg components. Proc OTC, Houston, May 1979.Google Scholar
- 18.Dowling, P.J. and Harding, J.E.: Experimental behaviour of ring and stringer stiffened shells. International conference on buckling of shells in offshore structures, Imperial College, April 1981.Google Scholar
- 19.Tsang, S.K. and Harding, J.E.: Buckling behaviour under pressure of cylindrical shells reinforced by light ring stiffeners, Proc Instn. Civ. Engrs. Part 2, vol 79, 1985.Google Scholar
- 20.Tsang, S.K. and Harding, J.E.: Design of ring stiffened cylinders under external pressure, The Structural Engineer, Vol 63B, No 4, December 1985.Google Scholar
- 21.Harding, J.E. and Tsang, S.K.: The behaviour and design of ring -stiffened cylinders, 5th International symposium on offshore mechanics and arctic engineering, Tokyo, Japan, April 1986.Google Scholar
- 22.Tsang, S.K. and Harding, J.E.: Design of ring-stiffened cylinders under interactive loading, ASCE, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol 113, No 9, September 1987.Google Scholar
- 23.Harding, J.E., Onoufriou, A and Tsang, S.K.: Behaviour and design of ring-stiffened cylinders including damage effects, Steel Construction Offshore/Onshore, Imperial College, April 1987.Google Scholar
- 24.Ostapenko, A.: Local buckling of welded tubular columns, Fritz Engineering Laboratory, Lehigh University, 1977, Report 406.11.Google Scholar
- 25.Det norske Veritas, Rules for the design, construction and inspection of fixed offshore structures, Det norske Veritas, Oslo, 1977.Google Scholar
- 26.Donneil, LH.: Beams, Plates and Shells, McGraw Hill, 1976.Google Scholar
- 27.Agelidis, N.: Collapse of stringer stiffened cylinders, PhD Thesis, University of London, 1984.Google Scholar
- 28.Harding, J.E. and Dowling, P.J.: Analytical results for the behaviour of ring and stringer stiffened shells, International conference on buckling of shells in offshore structures, Imperial College, April 1987.Google Scholar
- 29.Det norske Veritas, Classification notes — buckling strength analysis of mobile offshore units, Note No 30.1, Hovik, Norway, 1984.Google Scholar
- 30.Buckling of steel shells; European Recommendations, Fourth Edition, European Convention for Constructional Steelwork, 1988.Google Scholar
- 31.Louca, L.A., Buckling behaviour of stiffener outstands, PhD Thesis, University of Surrey, 1991.Google Scholar
- 32.Ronalds, B.F. and Dowling, P.J.: Local damaged effects in cylinders stiffened by rings and stringers, Steel Construction Offshore/Onshore, Imperial College, April 1987.Google Scholar
- 33.Walker, A.C., McCall, S. and Kwok, R., Strength of damaged shells under pressure and axial loading, Steel Construction Offshore/Onshore, Imperial College, April 1987.Google Scholar