Measurement Models for Quantitative Ultrasonics
This lecture emphasizes the importance of measurement models. Two examples are discussed both from a theoretical and an experimental point of view. These are backscattering of body waves from a surface-breaking crack and reflection and transmission of surface waves by a surface-breaking crack. Measurement models also play a useful role in the training of neural networks, as discussed by the example of backscattering from a surface-breaking crack.
KeywordsMeasurement Model Boundary Element Method Rayleigh Wave Boundary Integral Equation Crack Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.1Gray, J. B., Gray, T. A., Nakagawa, N. and Thompson, R. B.: in Metals Handbook, Vol. 17: Nondestructive Evaluation and Quality Control, ASM International, Metals Park, OH, 1989, P.702.Google Scholar
- 7.2Kitahara, M., Hirose, S., and Achenbach, J. D.: Transient elastodynamic fracture mechanics of three-dimensional solids, in: Developments in BEM, Vol. 7, Advanced Dynamic Analysis (Eds. P. K. Banerjee and S. Kobayashi), Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, in press.Google Scholar
- 7.3Li, Z. L. and Achenbach, J. D.: BEM computations of elastodynamic fields containing internal, near-surface and surface-breaking cracks, in: Advances in BEM for Fracture Mechanics (Eds. C. A. Brebbia and M. H. Aliabadi), Computational Mechanics Publication, Southampton, in press.Google Scholar
- 7.5Kitahara, M., Achenbach, J. D., Guo, Q. C., Peterson, M. L., Ogi, T. and Notake, M.: Depth determination of surface-breaking cracks by a neural network, in: Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 10A (Eds. D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti), Plenum Press, New York, 1991, 689–696.Google Scholar
- 7.6Kitahara, M., Achenbach, J. D., Guo, Q. C., Peterson, M. L., Notake, M., and Takadoya, M.: Neural network for crack-depth determination from ultrasonic backscattering data, in: Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. 11A (Eds. D.O.Thompson and D.E. Chimenti), Plenum Press, New York, 1992,701–708.Google Scholar
- 7.7Viktorov, I. A.: Rayleigh Waves and Lamb Waves — Physical Theory and Application, Plenum Press, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- 7.12Resch, M. T., Nelson, D. V., Yuee, H. H. and Ramusat, G. F.: A surface acoustic wave technique for monitoring the growth behavior of small surface fatigue cracks, J. of NDE, 5(1985), 1–7.Google Scholar
- 7.13Achenbach, J. D., Komsky, I., Lee, Y. C., and Angel, Y. C.: Self-calibrating ultrasonic technique for R/T and T/R measurements, in: Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, Vol. IIA (Eds. D.O. Thompson and D.E. Chimenti), Plenum Press, New York, 1992,1035–1042.Google Scholar