Scattering of Ultrasonic Waves by Cracks
Mathematical techniques to analyze scattering of ultrasound are discussed. Particular attention is devoted to scattering by cracks. Results are presented for time-domain finite difference calculations and for the ray method. The derivation of a boundary integral equation for the crack-opening-displacement according to rigorous elastodynamic theory and the numerical solution of this equation by the boundary element method are discussed in some detail. When the crack-opening-displacement is known, the scattered field can be obtained by the use of an integral representation.
KeywordsBoundary Element Method Ultrasonic Wave Boundary Integral Equation Crack Edge Scattered Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.5Ogura, Y.: Height determination studies for planar defects by means of ultrasonic testing, The Non- Destructive Testing J. of Japan, 1(1983), 22–29.Google Scholar
- 4.6Harumi, K., Ogura, Y. and Uchida, M.: Ultrasonic Defect Sizing: Japanese Tip Echo Handbook, Printed Micro Printing Co, Ltd, Japan, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.7Achenbach, J. D., Gautesen, A. K. and McMaken, H.: Ray Methods for Waves in Elastic Solids, Pitman Advanced Publishing Program, Boston 1982.Google Scholar
- 4.9Coffey, J. M. and Chapman, R. K.: Application of elastic scattering theory for smooth flat cracks to the quantitative prediction of ultrasonic defect detection and sizing, Nuclear Energy, 22(1983), 319–333.Google Scholar
- 4.12Achenbach, J. D., Norris, A. N., Ahlberg, L. and Tittmann, B. R.: Crack mapping by ray methods, in: Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, 2B (Eds. D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti), Plenum press, New York, 1982, 1097–1116.Google Scholar
- 4.15Nishimura, N. and Kobayashi, S.: An improved boundary integral equation method for crack problems, in: Proc. RJTAM Symposium on Advanced Boundary Element Methods (Ed. T. A. Cruse), Springer, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.16Tan, T. H.: Diffraction Theory for Time-Harmonic Elastic Waves, Doctoral dissertation, Delft University of Technology, 1975.Google Scholar
- 4.20Cruse, T. A.: Fracture mechanics, in: Boundary Element Method in Mechanics (Ed. D. E. Beskos), North-Holland, 333–365,1987.Google Scholar