Applications of Quantitative Ultrasonics
Practical applications of quantitative ultrasonic techniques are discussed. After a review of the role of nondestructive evaluation in the life cycle of structural components, attention is focussed on several specific examples. Included are discussions of uses of models in designing for inspectability and validating proposed procedures for flaw detection, techniques for measurements of deformation and fracture related material properties, and techniques for measurement of stress. References to more detailed review articles are provided.
KeywordsResidual Stress Rayleigh Wave Nondestructive Evaluation Deep Drawing Ultrasonic Measurement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schmerr, L. S. and D. O. Thompson: Incorporating Inspectability into Design: The New Role of NDE in Concurrent Engineering, in: NDE’s Role in Concurrent Engineering, ASME, New York, in press.Google Scholar
- 3.Achenbach, J. D., Lecture notes in this volume, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Gray, J. N., T. A. Gray, N. Nakagawa, and R. B. Thompson: Models for Predicting NDE Reliability, in: Metals Handbook, Vol. 17, Nondestructive Evaluation and Quality Control, ASM, Metals Park, Oh., 1989, 702–715.Google Scholar
- 5.Sayers, C. M., Lecture notes in this volume, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Thompson, R. B., Lecture notes in this volume, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Mould, P. R. and T. R. Johnson: in: Sheet Met. Ind. 50 (1973), 328Google Scholar
- 8.Papadakis, E. P., R. B. Thompson, S. Wormley, K. Forouraghi, D. D. Bluhm, and H. D. Skank: Design and Fabrication of an Industrial-Grade Instrument to Measure Texture and Predict Drawability in Sheet Metal, in: Review of Progress in Quantitative Nondestructive Evaluation, Vol. 10B, (D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti, Eds.) Plenum Press, NY, 1991, 2053–2060.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Thompson, R. B., W.-Y. Lu, and A. V. Clark: Ultrasonic Method, in: SEM Monograph on Techniques for Residual Stress Measurements (J. Lu, Ed.) SEM, in press.Google Scholar
- 10.Del Santo, P. P., Lecture notes in this volume, 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Validation of Mathematical Models of the Ultrasonic Inspection of Steel Components, Document PISCD0C (90) 12, Programme for Inspection of Steel Components, Commission of the European Communities Joint Research Centre, Ispra, Italy, 1991.Google Scholar
- 14.Langenberg, K. J., Lecture notes in this volume, 1992.Google Scholar