Weakening of Elastic Solids by Doubly-Periodic Arrays of Cracks
Problems concerning elastic bodies which contain multiple cracks are of obvious importance because the structural behavior of solids is strongly influenced by the presence of cracks. Solids containing cracks are weaker mechanically, not merely because at certain levels of applied loads the concentrated stresses at the crack tips may cause the crack to propagate and lead to fracture, but also because at lower stress levels the magnitudes of the elastic constants of the material can be significantly reduced by the presence of the cracks. Further, if the cracks are arranged in a preferred orientation, the elastic response of the body can be highly anisotropic.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Single Crack Crack Spacing Parallel Crack Rectangular Array
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Paris, P.C., Sih, G.C.: Stress Analysis of Cracks, Symposium on Fracture Toughness Testing and Its Applications, STP 381, American Society for Testing Materials, Philadelphia, 30-83(1965).Google Scholar
- 4.Koiter, W.T.: An Infinite Row of Parallel Cracks in an Infinite Elastic Sheet, Problems in Continuum Mechanics, English ed., (Radok, J.E.M., ed.), Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 246-259(1961).Google Scholar
- 5.Ichikawa, M., Ohashi, M., Yokobori, T.: Interaction between Parallel Cracks in an Elastic Solid and Its Effect on Fracture, Reports of the Research Institute for Strength and Fracture of Materials, Tohoku Univ., Sendai, 1, No. 1, 1–14(May 1965).Google Scholar
- 6.Benthem, J.P., Koiter, W.T.: Asymptotic Approximations to Crack Problems, Mechanics of Fracture, Vol. 1: Methods of Analysis and Solutions of Crack Problems (Sih, G.C., ed.), pp.131–178. Leyden: Noordhoff. 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Bilby, B.A., Eshelby, J.D.: Dislocations and Theory of Fracture, Fracture: An Advanced Treatise (Liebowitz, H., ed), Vol. 1, pp. 99–182. New York: Academic Press. 1968.Google Scholar
- 8.Delameter, W.R., Herrmann, G.: Weakening of an Elastic Solid by a Rectangular Array of Cracks, Stanford University SUDAM Report 73-2.Google Scholar