The Chemistry of Antigenic Determinants on Protein Molecules
In the course of an immune response, antigens exhibit two distinct reactivities, which may not necessarily coincide. The first is the immunogenicity, namely the capacity of the antigenic substance to elicit an immune response, and the second is the antigenic specificity, which refers to their capacity to interact, in a specific manner, with antibodies or with immune lymphocytes, regardless of how these have been raised. The region in the antigenic molecule which directly comes into contact with the active site of the antibodies, or with a cell surface receptor is defined as an antigenic determinant. Proteins and large polypeptides may carry a large number and variety of possible antigenic determinants which determine the antigenic specificity of that particular macromolecule.
KeywordsCoat Protein Antigenic Specificity Antigenic Determinant Antigenic Property Sequential Determinant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARNON, R. (1977) in Immunochemistry’ (Glynn, ed.) John Wiley, N.Y. in press.Google Scholar
- ARNON, R., MARON, E., SELA, M. and ANFINSEN, C. B. (1971) Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 681 1450–145 5.Google Scholar
- BECKER, U., TIMPL, R. andKULIN, K. (1972) Eur. J. Biochem. 28, 221–231.Google Scholar
- BREW, K., CASTELLINO, F. J., VANAMAN, T. C., TRAYER, I. P. and MATTOCK, P. (1969) Brookhaven Symp. Biol. No. 21, Vol. 1, pp. 139.Google Scholar
- CRUMPTON, M. J. (1974) in The Antigens’ (Sela, M., ed.) Vol. II, pp. 1, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- DICKERSON, R. E. (1964) in `The Proteins’ (Neurath, H., ed.) 2nd ed., Vol. II, pp. 603, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- FUJIO, H., IMANISHI, M., NISHIOKA, K. and AMANO, T. (1968a) Biken J. I1, 207–218.Google Scholar
- KABAT, E. A. (1968) in `Structural Concepts in Immunology and Immunochemistry’ pp. 89, Holt, Rinehart and Winston Inc. New York.Google Scholar
- LAPRESLE, C. and DARIEUX, J. (1957) Ann. Inst. Pasteur 92, 62.Google Scholar
- MOZES, E., SCHWARTZ, M. and SELA, M. (1974) J. Exp. Med. 140, 349–355. PORTER, R. P. (1957) Biochem. J. 66, 677–686.Google Scholar
- DE WECK, A. L. (1974) in The Antigens’ (Sela, M., ed.) Vol. II, pp. 141, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar