Characteristics of learning deficit induced by ibotenic acid lesion of the frontal cortex in rats
The present study examined influences of ibotenic acid lesions of the dorsolateral frontal cortex (DFC) and medial prefrontal cortex (MPC) having cholinergic input from the nucleus basalis of Meynert (NBM) on retention of discrimination avoidance learning in rats. The DFC and MPC lesions impaired the retention similar to the NBM lesion. In contrast to the NBM lesion, the DFC and MPC lesions reduced GAD activity, but not ChAT, in the cortex. Therefore, memory dysfunction based on the nerve cell loss of the frontal cortex may be involved in the GABAergic neuronal system.
KeywordsMedial Prefrontal Cortex Memory Dysfunction ChAT Activity Ibotenic Acid Ibotenic Acid Lesion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albers WR, Brody RO (1959) The distribution of glutamic decarboxylase in the nervous system of the rhesus monkey. J Biol Chem 234: 926–928Google Scholar
- DeFeudis FV (1988) Cholinergic system and Alzheimer’s disease. Drug Dev Res 14:95 —109Google Scholar
- Kawajiri S, Sakurai T, Ojima H, Akashi A (1988) Effect of DM9384, a new pyrrolidone derivative, on learning behavior and cerebral choline acetyltransferase activity in rats. Psychopharmacology 96 [Suppl]: 306Google Scholar
- Mayo W, Dubois B, Ploska A, Javoy-Agid F, Agid Y, Le Moal M, Simon H (1984) Cortical cholinergic projections from the basalis forebrain of the rat, with the special reference to the prefrontal cortex innervation. Neurosci Lett 47:149 —154Google Scholar
- Nabeshima T, Noda Y, Tohyama K, Harrer S, Kameyama T (1988) Antiamnesic effects of DM9384, a pyrrolidone derivative, on drug-induced amnesia animal models. Psychopharmacology 96 [Suppl]: 305Google Scholar
- Paxinos G, Watson C (1986) The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates, 2nd edn. Academic Press, SydneyGoogle Scholar