Seismic Isolation Development in Europe
This section presents a brief account of the development and application of seismic (or base) isolation in Europe. It appears that the first documented attempts to mitigate seismic hazard by seismic isolation were made in Europe.
KeywordsNatural Rubber Isolation System Vibration Isolation Seismic Isolation Base Isolation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Delfosse, G.C. (1977). “The Gapec system: a new highly effective seismic system.” Proc. 6th WCEE, 3, 1135–1140, New Delhi, India,Google Scholar
- 3.Derham, C.J. (1982). “Basic principles of base isolation.” Proc. International Conference on Natural Rubber for Earthquake Protection of Buildings and Vibration Isolation,” 65–81, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- 4.Eisenberg, J.M., Melentyev, A.M., Smirnov, V.I. and Nemykin, A.N. (1992). “Applications of seismic isolation in the USSR,” Proc. 10th WCEE, Vol. 4, 2039–2046, Madrid.Google Scholar
- 7.Ikonomou, A.S. (1972). “The Earthquake guarding system.” Technica Chronica, 879–898, October (in Greek and English).Google Scholar
- 8.Ikonomou, A.S. (1984). “Alexisismon seismic isolation levels for translational and rotational seismic input.” Proc. 8th WCEE, V, 957–982, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- 10.Kelly, J.M. (1991). “Base isolation: origins and development.” EERC News, 12(1), 1–3.Google Scholar
- 14.Martelli, A., Parducci, A. and Forni, M. (1993). “Innovative seismic design techniques in Italy.” Proc. ATC-17–1 Seminar on Seismic Isolation, Passive Energy Dissipation, and Active Control, March, San Francisco, CA.Google Scholar
- 15.Medeot, R. (1991). “The evolution of seismic devices for bridges in Italy.” 3rd World Congress on Joint Sealing and Bearing Systems for Concrete Structures, Vol. 2, 1295–1320, Toronto.Google Scholar
- 17.Plichon, C., Guéraud, R., Richli, M.H. and Casagrande, J.F. (1980). “Protection of nuclear power plants against seism.” Nuclear Technology, 49, 295–306.Google Scholar