Principles of TMD and TLD — Basic Principles and Design Procedure
In this chapter, the principles of TMD (Tuned Mass Damper) are explained. Selection of structural parameters of TMD is discussed based on Den Hartog’s optimum theory for a simplified 2-DOF (degree-of-freedom) system. Design procedure of TMD for implementation to structures is also introduced. Discussions are extended to TLD (Tuned Liquid Damper). Shaking-table tests of TLD for flexible structures at Kyoto University are also introduced.
KeywordsMain Structure Harmonic Excitation Tune Mass Damper Viscous Damper Tune Liquid Column Damper
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Warburton, G. (1982). “Optimum absorber parameters for various combinations of response and excitation parameters,” Earthquake Engg. and Structural Dynamics, vol.10, pp.381–401.Google Scholar
- Tamura, Fujii, et al (1988). “Wind-induced vibration of tall towers and practical application of TSD,” ProC., Workshop on Serviceability of Buildings, Ottawa.Google Scholar
- Ueda, T., Nagasaki, R, and Koshida, K. (1991). “Suppression of wind-induced vibration in tower-like structures by means of dynamic dampers,” Proc., Colloquium on Control of Structures, Part B, JSCE. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Sakai, F., Takeda, S. and Tamaki, T. (1991). “Experimental study on tuned liquid column damper (TLCD),” ProC., Colloquium on Control of Structures, Part B, JSCE. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Fujino, Y., Pacheco, B., Chaisen, P., Sun, L.M. and Koga, K. (1990). “Understanding of TLD properties based on TMD analogy,” Journal of Structural Engineering, JSCE, 36A.Google Scholar
- Yamaguchi, H., Fujino, Y. and Tsumura, N. (1991). “Passive control of structures with TMD,” ProC., Colloquium on Control of Structures, Part B, JSCE. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Iemura, H., et al (1993). “Shaking-table tests on sloshing dampers for flexible structures,” Annual Convention of JSCE. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Iemura, H., et al (1992). “Comparison of passive, active and hybrid control techniques on earthquake response of flexural structures,” U.S.-Italy-Japan Workshop on Structural Control and Intelligent Structures. Google Scholar