Error Bounds for Tree Codes, Trellis Codes, and Convolutional Codes with Encoding and Decoding Procedures
One of the anomalies of coding theory has been that while block parity-check codes form the subject for the overwhelming majority of theoretical studies, convolutional codes have been used in the majority of practical applications of “error-correcting codes.” There are many reasons for this, not the least being the elegant algebraic characterizations that have been formulated for block codes. But while we may for aesthetic reasons prefer to speculate about linear block codes rather than convolutional codes, it seems to me that an information-theorist can no longer be inculpably ignorant of non-block codes. It is the purpose of these lectures to provide a reasonably complete and self-contained treatment of non-block codes for a reader having some general familiarity with block codes.
KeywordsError Bound Terminal Node Block Code Convolutional Code Information Digit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Johannesson, R., “On The Error Probability of General Tree and Trellis Codes with Applications to Sequential Decoding,” Tech. Rpt. No. EE 7316, Dept. of Elec. Engr., Univ. of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana, U.S.A. December 1973.Google Scholar
- Viterbi, A.J.,, “Convolutional Codes and Their Performance in Communication Systems,” IEEE Trans. Comm Tech., Vol. COM-19, pp. 751–772, October, 1971.Google Scholar
- Larsen, K.J., “Short Convolutional Codes with Maximum Free Distance for Rates 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4”, IEEE Trans. Info. Th., Vol. IT-19, pp. 371–372, May, 1973.Google Scholar
- Wozencraft, J.M., and B. Reiffen, Sequential Decoding, M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1959.Google Scholar
- Massey, J.L., Threshold Decoding, M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1963.Google Scholar
- Zigangirov, K.Sh., “Some Sequential Decoding Procedures,” Prob. Pederachi Inform., Vol. 2. pp. 13–25, 1966.Google Scholar
- Wozencraft, J.M., and I.M. Jacobs, Principles of Communication Engineering, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1965.Google Scholar