In striving to fully understand the mechanism of initial imperfection sensitivity, let us briefly recall the stability behavior of flat plates and circular cylinders. In each of these structures the relationship between the buckling and the postbuckling loads was definitively attributable to the imperfection sensitivity of the structure. Thus in the case of flat plates the postbuckling loads are higher than the buckling load and, hence, we conclude that flat plates are imperfection insensitive. In the case of cylinders under external pressure, the postbuckling loads are slightly below the buckling load and so, cylinders under external pressure are imperfection sensitive to a small degree. With cylinders under axial loading the postbuckling loads are quite below the buckling load, hence, axially loaded cylinders are imperfection sensitive to a very high degree.
KeywordsSpherical Shell Initial Imperfection Shallow Spherical Shell Postbuckling Behavior Imperfection Sensitivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ZOELLY, R.: Über ein Knickungsproblem an der Kugelschale. Dissertation, Zürich (1915)Google Scholar
- NEUT, A. van der The Elastic Stability of the Spheri- cal Shell. Thesis Delft, H.J. Paris, Amsterdam (1932)Google Scholar
- THOMPSON, J.M.T.: The Elastic Instability of a Complete Spherical Shell. Aeron.Quart. Vol. 13 (1962),pp. 189–201Google Scholar
- HOFF, N.J.: Sorae Recent Studies of the Bückling of Thin Shells. Aeron. J. of Roy.Aeron.Soc. Vol. 73 (1969), pp. 1057–1070Google Scholar
- KOITER, W.T.: The Nonlinear Bückling Problem of a Complete Spherical Shell under Uniform External Pressure. Kon.Ned.Ak.Wet., Amsterdam, Proceedings, Series B, 72 (I969), No.l and 2, pp. 40–123Google Scholar
- HUTCHINSON, J.W.: Imperfection Sensitivity of External Pressurized Spherical Shells. J. Appl.Mech. Vol.34 O967 ), pp. 49–55Google Scholar
- WEINITSCHKE, H.J.: On Asymmetrie Bückling of Shallow Spherical Shells. J. Math.Phys. Vol.44 (1965), pp.l4l–163Google Scholar
- EVANIWANOWSKI, R.M, LOO, T.C.: Deformations and Stability of Spherical Shells under Action of Concentrated Loads and Uniform Pressure. Techn. Report 834 (11), No.4, Syracuse University, Research Institute, June (1962)Google Scholar
- KRENZKE, M.A., KIERNAN, T.J.: Elastic Stability of Near-Perfect Shallow Spherical Shells. Aiaa J. Vol.l (1963), pp. 2855–2857Google Scholar
- PARMERTER, R.R.: The Buckling of Clamped Shallow Spherical Shells under Uniform Pressure. Ph.D. Thesis, California Inst, of Technology, Nov. (1963)Google Scholar
- KLÖPPEL, K., JUNGBLUTH, O.: Beitrag zum Durchschlagproblem dünnwandiger Kugelschalen. Der Stahlbau, Band 22 (1953),S. 121–130Google Scholar