W*M’s: A Survey Writing on Some Binary Memories with Constraints
We survey some constructions of codes and estimations of capacities for binary memories subject to constraints on transitions between states. The capacity is found for the special class of translation-invariant constraints.
A summarizing table is given for write-unidirectional memories, write-isolated memories, and writing on reluctant, defective or suspicious memories.
KeywordsDiscrete Math Allowed Transition Letter Criterion Good Block Linear Block Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. AHLSWEDE, Z. ZHANG, Coding for write-efficient memories, Inform. and Control, vol. 83, n°1 (1989) 80–97.Google Scholar
- L.BASSALYGO, S.GELFAND and M.PINSKER, Coding for channels with localized errors, Oberwolfach Tagungsbericht 21 /1989, May 1989.Google Scholar
- J.M. BORDEN, Coding for write-unidirectional memories, preprint.Google Scholar
- G. COHEN, P. GODLEWSKI and F. MERKX, Linear block codes for write-once memories, IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, IT-32, n°5 (1986) 697–700.Google Scholar
- G. COHEN, G. ZEMOR, Write-Isolated Memories, French-Israeli Conference on combinatorics and algorithms, Nov. 1988, Jerusalem, to appear in Discrete Math.Google Scholar
- I.CSISZAR and J.KORNER, Information Theory Academic PressGoogle Scholar
- M.R. FELLOWS, Encoding graphs in graphs, Ph.D. Dissertation, Univ-Calif. San Diego, Computer Science, 1985Google Scholar
- C.HEEGARD and A.A. EL GAMAL, On the capacity of Computer Memory with Defects, IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, vol. IT-29, n°5, (1983) 731–739.Google Scholar
- T. KLOVE, On Robinson’s coding problem, IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, IT-29, n°3 (1983) 450–454.Google Scholar
- K.U. KOSCHNICK, Coding for Write-Unidirectional Memories, Oberwolfach Tagungsbericht 21 /1989, May 1989.Google Scholar
- A.V. KUZNETSOV, Defective channels and defective memories, Oberwolfach Tagungsbericht 21 /1989, May 1989.Google Scholar
- A.V. KUZNETSOV and B.S. TSYBAKOV, Coding in memories with defective cells, Probl. Peredachi, Inform., vol. 10, n°2 (1974) 52–60.Google Scholar
- F.J. MACWILLIAMS and N.J.A. SLOANE, The Theory of Error-correcting Codes North-Holland, New-York, 1977.Google Scholar
- W. M.C.J. van OVERVELD, The four cases of WUM-codes over arbitrary alphabets, submitted to IEEE Trans.on Inform. Theory.Google Scholar
- M.R. SCHROEDER, Number Theory in Science and Communication. Springer-Verlag Series in Information Sciences, 1984.Google Scholar
- G. SIMONY!, On Write-Unidirectional Memory Codes, IEEE Trans. on Inform. Theory, vol. 35, n°3 (1989) 663–669.Google Scholar
- A. VINCK, personal communication. Google Scholar
- J.K. WOLF, A.D. WYNER, J. ZIV, J. KÖRNER, Coding for write-once memory, AT and T Bell Lab.-Tech. J. 63, N°6 (1984) 1089–112.Google Scholar