Mechanics of Partially Saturated Porous Media
In the framework of the volume fraction theories, the governing equations of problems of mechanics of partially saturated porous media are derived. The use of general averaging principles provides the definition of averaged field variables, which allow the connection with experimental data. A finite element discretization of the governing equations is subsequently presented.
KeywordsPorous Medium Pore Pressure Effective Stress Triaxial Test Mass Balance Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Lewis, R.W. and Schrefler, B.A.: The finite element method in the deformation and consolidation of porous media, Wiley, Chichester 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Lemaitre, J. and Chaboche J.L.: Mecanique des materiaux solides, Dunod, Paris 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.Skempton, A.W.: Effective stress in soils, concrete and rocks, in Pore pressure and suction in soils, Butterworths London 1961, 4–16.Google Scholar
- 8.Aitchison, G.D. and Donald, I.B.: Effective stress in unsaturated soils, Proc. 2nd Australia-New Zealand Conf. Soil Mech., 1956, 192–199.Google Scholar
- 10.Lloret, A., Alonso, E.E. and Gens, a A.: Undrained loading and consolidation analysis for unsaturated soils, Proc. Eur. Conf. Num. Meth. Geomech., 2, Stuttgart, 1986.Google Scholar
- 16.Li, X., Ding, D., Chan, A.H.C. and Zienkiewicz, O.C.: A coupled finite element method for the soil-pore fluid interaction problems with immiscible two-phase fluid flow, Proc. V-th Int. Symposium on Num. Meth. Eng., Lausanne, 1989.Google Scholar
- 20.Schrefler, B.A. and Simoni, L.: A unified approach to the analysis of saturated-unsaturated elastoplastic porous media, in Numerical Methods in Geomechanics. Innsbruck 1988. (ed. G. Swoboda), Balkema, Rotterdam 1988.Google Scholar
- 21.Suquet, P.M.: Elements of homogenization for inelastic solid mechanics, in: Homogenization techniques for composite media (eds. E. Sanchez-Palencia and A. Zaoui), Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1987.Google Scholar