A Comparison of Hierarchical Topologies for Mega-Micro-Computers
In this paper several hierarchical network-centered architectures will be described. All these structures are characterized by a modularity which can be recoursively applied to realize multi-level computer architectures composed of homogeneous processors and interconnections. In particular, the analyzed families are: snowflakes, stars, trees, hypernets, and pyramids. All the solutions of these families will be compared on the basis of the complexity (increasing law and node degree), maximum diameter and average distance, load distribution among links, addressing algorithm and routing capability. At the end, some quantitative results are summarized.
KeywordsDestination Node Leaf Node Binary Tree Hierarchical Level Basic Module
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. D. Wittie, “Efficient message routing in mega-micro computer networks”, Proc. Third Symp. on Computer Architectures, 1976, pp. 136–140.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Becker, “Structural aspects of organizing parallel processing machines”, K. Ecker (HRSG.), Berichte des Instituts fur Informatik der Universitat Ciasthal, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.G. A. De Biase, “Interconnection structures and parallel computing”, in Advances in Parallel Computing, D. J. Evans, Ed, Vol. 1, in press.Google Scholar
- 10.C. H. Sequin, “Single chip computers, the new VLSI building blocks”, in Proc. VLSI Conf., Cal. Inst. of Technol., Pasadena, CA, 1979.Google Scholar
- 12.D. P. Agrawal, and V. K. Janakiram, “Evaluating the performance of multicomputer configurations”, Computer, Vol. 19, N. 5, pp. 23–37, 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.V. Cantoni, M. Ferretti, S. Levialdi, and R. Stefanelli, “PAPIA: Pyramidal Architecture for Parallel Image Analysis”, Proc. 7th Symp. on Computer Arithmetic, Urbana IL, pp. 237–242, 1985.Google Scholar
- 21.P. E. Danielsson, “Vices and Virtues of image parallel machines”, in Digital Image Analysis, S. Levialdi, editor, London: Pitman Publishing Limited, 1984, pp. 47–59.Google Scholar