The Analytic Hierarchy Process: Experiments in Stability
The Analytic Hierarchy Process has been applied to many problems, and major claims made about its value. In this paper we look at how robust-the procedure is in real life situations.,First of all the method is outlined and the. principles illustrated using a small numerical example,and areal life case study. This is followed by the results of a series of experiments using groups of people over time, to see how their subjectivity alters. Finally some simulations are carried out on data obtained in practice. The results indicate. the individual data stability is high, and point to the more important factor of initial model specification.
KeywordsAnalytic Hierarchy Process Subjective Data Final Choice Security Device Single Decision Maker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Saaty, T.L., Analytical Hierarchy Process, McGraw Hill, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- 2.Lockett, A.G., Hetherington, B., Subjective data and multiple criteria decision making, in Essays and Surveys on Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Ed., Hansen, Proceedings of the Vth International Conference on MCDM, Springer Verlag, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 7.Saaty, T.L., Gholamnezhad, A.H. Oil prices: 1985 and 1990, Energy Systems and Policy, 5, No. 4, 303, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Lockett, A.G., Muhlemann, A.P., Gear, A.E., Group decision making and multiple criteria - a documented application, in Organisations: Multiple Agents with Multiple Criteria, Ed., Morse, Proceedings of IVth International Conference on MCDM, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Lockett, A.G., Gear, A.E., Muhlemann, A.P., A unified approach to the acquisition of subjective data in R and D, IEEE Trans. on Eng. Mgt., 29, No. 1, 11, Feb. 1982.Google Scholar
- 10.Lockett, A.G., Hetherington, B., Yallup, P., Subjective estimation and its use in MCDM, VIth Proceeding of VIth International Conference on MCDM, Cleveland, June 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Vangas, L.G., Saaty, T.L., Inconsistency and rank preservation in MCDM, VIth Proceeding of VIth International Conference on MCDM, Cleveland, June 1984.Google Scholar