Jets in Crossflow — Simultaneous PIV/PLIF measurements
- 252 Downloads
Simultaneous planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF) and particle image velocimetry (PIV) yield measurements of two-dimensional jet fluid concentration and velocity fields in turbulent crossflowing jets. The jet-to-crossflow velocity ratio is r = 5.7 and the jet exit Reynolds number is roughly 5000. Two flow configurations are studied, one in which the jet nozzle is flush with the tunnel wall and the other where the nozzle protrudes into the uniform region of the tunnel flow. The averaged scalar and velocity fields show a strong similarity in growth rates and centerline decay rates between the two configurations when using the centerline coordinate s. A possible approach to wake scaling is seen in the velocity fields, but is not evident in the scalar fields. Results are presented for the scalar flux components and the turbulent shear stress, as examples of the fluctuation quantities accessible by the present data.
KeywordsParticle Image Velocimetry Scalar Field Velocity Ratio Center Plane Boundary Contour
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hasselbrink, E. F., Jr. (1999) Transverse Jets and Jet Flames: Structure, Scaling, and Effects of Heat Release. Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Hasselbrink, E. F., Jr. and Mungal, M. G. (1996) An analysis of the time-averaged far-field properties of the transverse jet. AIAA Paper 96–0201, 34th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV.Google Scholar
- Pratte, B.D. and Baines, W. D. (1967) Profiles of the round turbulent jet in a cross flow. J. Hydraul. Div. ASCE 92: 53–64.Google Scholar
- Su, L. K. (1998) Measurements of the three-dimensional scalar dissipation rate in gas-phase planar turbulent jets. In Annual Research Briefs,Center for Turbulence Research, Stanford, CA.Google Scholar
- Su, L. K., D. Han, R. M. Miraflor and M. G. Mungal (2000) “Measurements of Scalar and Velocity Fields in Turbulent Crossflowing Jets with Low Velocity Ratio”, AIAA-2000–0815, AIAA 38th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV.Google Scholar
- Yuan, L.L. (1997) Large eddy simulations of a jet in crossflow. PhD Thesis, Stanford University, (1997).Google Scholar