Adaptive Neural Network Based Approach for Active Flow Control
This paper presents an intelligent control system architecture for micro-adaptive flow control applications. The proposed adaptive non-model based control approach is motivated by the difficulty in constructing an accurate physical model of the micro-adaptive flow control system. The control architecture employs a Neural Network based adaptive control process, and a novel method for protecting the adaptive system from poorly modeled actuator nonlinearities, such as saturation and hyteresis. We give a simple illustration of these features by considering a ducted rotor model.
KeywordsAdaptive Neural Network Model Reference Adaptive Control Active Flow Control Actuator Position Inversion Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Calise, A.J., Sharma, M. and Corban, J.E. (September 2000) “Adaptive Autopilot Design for Guided Munitions,” AL4A Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 23, No. 5.Google Scholar
- Calise, A., Hovakimyan, N. and Idan, M. (August, 2001 ). “Adaptive Output Feedback Control of Nonlinear Systems using Neural Networks,” Automatica, Vol. 37, No. 8.Google Scholar
- Calise, A. J., Lee, S. and Sharma, M. (September 2001). “Development of Reconfigurable Flight Control Law for Tailless Fighter Aircraft”, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 24, No. 5.Google Scholar
- Funahashi, K. (1989). “On the Approximate Realization of Continuous Mappings by Neural Networks”, Neural Networks, Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- Hornik, K., Stinchcombe, M. and White, H. (1989). “Multilayer Feedforward Networks are Universal Approximators”, Neural Networks, Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- Kim, Y. and Lewis, F. (1998). “High Level Feedback Control with Neural Networks”, World Scientific, NJ.Google Scholar
- Idan, M., Johnson, M. and Calise, A. J (August 2001). “A Hierarchical Approach to Adaptive Control for Improved Flight Safety,” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference.Google Scholar
- Johnson, E. (2000). Limited Authority Adaptive Flight Control. Ph.D. Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Johnson, E. and A. Calise, A. J. (June, 2001 ). “Neural Network Adaptive Control of Systems with Input Saturation”, American Control Conference.Google Scholar
- McFarland, M. B. and Calise, A. J. (1997). J. (1997). “Multilayer Neural Networks and Adaptive Nonlinear Control of Agile Anti-Air Missiles”. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA-97–3540), Guidance Navigation and Control Conference, August 1997.Google Scholar
- Rysdyk, R., Leonhardt, B. and Calise, A. J. (August, 2000 ). “Development of an Intelligent Flight Propulsion Control System: Nonlinear Adaptive Control”, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Guidance Navigation and Control Conference.Google Scholar
- Seshagiri, S. and Khalil, H. (2000). “Output Feedback Control of Nonlinear Systems Using RBF Neural Networks”, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 11 (1).Google Scholar