Jets in Crossflow — Scalar Mixing via PLIF
- 254 Downloads
The scalar concentration field of the round jet in a uniform crossflow is studied for a range of jet to crossflow velocity ratios, r, with emphasis on r = 10 and 20, using planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF) of acetone. For a top-hat jet exit velocity profile, the emerging presence of jet fluid in the wake structures is seen for for r > 10. The near-field region is characterized by a centerline concentration decay of s −1.3 , an improvement over the mixing rate s −1 of the free jet. The far-field is marked by a branching away from the s −1.3 decay and approaching a decay of s −2/3 a rate derived from modelling efforts. When normalized by r 2 d, the branch points occur at a uniform jet position, x/r 2 d ~ 0.2. The view of the branch points as points of transition in the flow is reinforced by the probability density function (pdf) results along the upper edge of the jet.
KeywordsBranch Point Horseshoe Vortex Planar Laser Induce Fluorescence Wake Structure Horseshoe Vortex System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hasselbrink, E.F. and Mungal, M.G. (1996). An analysis of the time-averaged far-field properties of the tranverse jet. AIAA Paper 96–0201, AIAA Thirty-fourth Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV.Google Scholar
- Kelso, R.M. and Smits, A.J. (1995). Horseshoe vortex systems resulting from the interaction between a laminar boundary layer and a transverse jet. Phys. Fluids A 7: 153–158.Google Scholar
- Margason, R.J. (1993). Fifty years of jet in cross flow research. AGARD-CP 534, Paper 1.Google Scholar
- Patrick, M. A. (1967) Experimental investigation of the mixing and penetration of a round turbulent jet injected perpendicularly into a transverse stream. J. Hydronaut. Div. ASCE 45: 16–31.Google Scholar
- Pratte, B.D. and Baines, W.D. (1967). Profiles of the round turbulent jet in a cross flow. J. Hydronaut. Div. ASCE 92: 53–64.Google Scholar
- Smith, S.H. (1996). The Scalar Concentration Field of the Axisymmetric Jet in Crossflow. Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Yuan, L.L. (1997). Large eddy simulations of a jet in crossflow. Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University.Google Scholar