Modeling turbulent particle dispersion in transverse jets
Turbulent particle dispersion in transverse jets depends closely on the evolution dynamics of the large scale fluid structures developing from the interaction between the jet and the crossflow. In this work, we model turbulent particle dispersion in transverse jets using Lagrangian approach for particles and Large Eddy Simulation for the flow field. We show the effects of the large scales structures on particle segregation and dispersion, demonstrating the relationship between vorticity field and particle concentration. We also show the inadequacy of engineering-like approach such as steady state RANS, to model dispersion in this type of flow.
KeywordsFlow Field Strouhal Number Vortical Structure Particle Dispersion Streamwise Vorticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abramovich, G., (1963). The theory of turbulent jets,Physical Sciences Engineering.Google Scholar
- Andreopoulos, J.,(1985). On the structure of jets in a crossflow J. Fluid Mech.,157 163–197.Google Scholar
- Campolo, M., Degano, G. M., Soldati, A., and Cortelezzi. L., (2002). Numerical appraisal of jet-tocrossflow coupling in a transverse jet (this book )Google Scholar
- Chein, R., and Chung, J. N., (1988). Simulation of particle dispersion in a two-dimensional mixing layer AIChE J., 34, 946–954.Google Scholar
- Davis, S. A., and Glezer, A., (1999). Mixing control of fuel jets using synthetic jet technology: velocity field measurements AIAA Paper 99–0447, 37th Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, NV, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Degano, G. M., Campolo, M., Soldati, A., and Cortelezzi, L., (2002). Influence of inlet boundary conditions on the numerical calculation of a jet in crossflow Int. J. Heat and Fluid Flow, (submitted).Google Scholar
- Gosman, A. D., and Ioannides, E., (1981). Aspects of computer simulation of liquid-fueled combustors AIAA Paper 81–0323.Google Scholar
- Hasselbrink, E. F., and Mungal, M. G., (2001b). Transverse jets and jet flames. Part 2. velocity and OHfield imaging J. Fluid Mech., 443, 27–68.Google Scholar
- Maxey, M. R., and Riley, J. J., (1983). equation of motion for a small rigid sphere in a nonuniform flow Phys. Fluids, 26, 883–889.Google Scholar
- Xia, L. P., and Lam, K. M. (1997). A vertical round jet issuing into an unsteady crossflow consisting of a mean current and a sinusoidal fluctuating component J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 67and68, 843–857.Google Scholar