The Sense of Progress in Structural Engineering
The Spanish philosopher Ortega y Gasset, referring to Medicine, as he might have been referring to Engineering, recalled that it is not in itself a science, but a profession, i.e. a practical activity. As such, its point of view is distinct from that of a Science: “... goes to Science, takes over everything that seems to satisfy it, takes from its results what it considers most effective, and leaves the rest”.
KeywordsCivil Engineering Structural Engineer Computer Usage Reinforced Concrete Beam Design Automation System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alberti, L. B, 1964: De Re Edificatoria, Florence, 1485, quoted in Straub, H.- A History of Civil Engineering, The Mit Press, Usa.Google Scholar
- Aleksander, I.; Morton, H., 1990: Neural Computing, Chapman Hall, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Arantes E Oliveira, E. R.; Pedro, J. O, 1986: “The rise and decline of structural analysis as a research topic in civil engineering”, J.S.S.T. Conference on Recent Advances in the Simulation of Complex Systems, Tokyo, Japan.Google Scholar
- Bento, J. P., 1992: Intelligent Cad in Structural Steel: a Cognitive Approach, PhD Thesis, Expert Systems Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK.Google Scholar
- FeijÓ, B., 1988: Fundamental steps towards an intelligent Cad system in structural steel, PhD Thesis, Expert Systems Laboratory, Department of Civil Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK.Google Scholar
- Fenves, S. J., 1987: “Expert systems in civil engineering — State of the art”, in Fourth International Symposium on Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Building Construction, Haifa, Israel.Google Scholar
- Miller, C. L., 1963: “Man-machine communication in civil engineering”, Proc. Asce, J. Str. Div., p. 35–93, Usa.Google Scholar
- Smith, I., 1996: “Interactive Design–time to bite the bullet”, Information Processing in Civil and Structural Engineering Design, B. Kumar (Ed.), 23–30, Civil-Comp Press, Scotland.Google Scholar
- Timoshenko, S.P., 1968: As I remember: the autobiography of Stephen P.Timoshenko, van Nostrand, Princeton, NJGoogle Scholar
- Turing, A., 1963: “Computing Machinery and Intelligence”, in E.A. Feigenbaum and J.Feldman, eds. Computers and Thought, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar