Natural Convection at a Solid-Liquid Phase Change Interface
In this course “Phase Change and Convection — Modelling and Validation”, the influence of convection on solid-liquid phase change processes is considered at different levels. The local effects of convection at the local scale on dendritic growth is addressed in the chapter by G. Amberg and the scaling-up from the local equations to the averaged macroscopic equations in a mushy zone is presented in the chapter by P. Furmanski. The present chapter deals with the interaction between a “smooth” phase change interface and laminar natural convection in the melt. It addresses the main features of solid-liquid phase change in situations where the interface between the solid and the liquid phase is clearly defined. The presentation is focused on the consequence of buoyancy forces in the liquid phase on heat and mass transfer at a solid-liquid interface through convective flows: thermal natural convection for pure substances, or thermosolutal convection in multi-component fluids.
KeywordsHeat Transfer Nusselt Number Natural Convection Prandtl Number Rayleigh Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Bejan. Convection heat transfer. (2nd Edition) Wiley, 1995.Google Scholar
- B. Caroli, C. Caroli, and B. Roulet. Instabilities of Planar Solidification Fronts, chapter 2 of Solids far from Equilibrium, pages 155–296. Cambridge University Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- J. Crank. Free and Moving Boundary Problems. Clarendon Press, 1984.Google Scholar
- M. C. Flemings. Solidification Processing. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- G. Z. Gershuni and E. M. Zhukhovvitskii. Convective stability of incompressible fluids. Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 1976.Google Scholar
- D. Gobin and P. LeQuéré. Melting from an isothermal vertical wall. synthesis of a numerical comparison exercise. Comp. Assist. Mech. Eng. Sc., 7–3: 289–306, 2000.Google Scholar
- T. R. Goodman. Applications of integral methods to transient non linear heat transfer. Adv. in Heat Transfer, pages 51–122, 1964.Google Scholar
- J. M. Hill. One-dimensional Stefan Problems: an Introduction. Longman Scientific and Technical, 1987.Google Scholar
- W. Kurz and D. J. Fisher. Fundamentals of Solidification. Trans Tech. Publications, 4th edition, 1998.Google Scholar
- S. Ostrach. Natural convection in enclosures. Adv. in Heat Transfer, 8:161–227, 1972.Google Scholar
- S. V. Patankar. Numerical heat transfer and fluid flow. Hemisphere, 1980.Google Scholar
- L. I. Rubinstein. The stefan problem. Transl. Math. Monographs, 27: 231–338, 1971.Google Scholar