Fracture Control Blasting
The information that I will present in this publication will describe for the most part results obtained from research projects conducted in the Photomechanics Laboratory at the University of Maryland over the past twelve years. The work has been accomplished by the author in conjunction with Drs. J.W. Dally, D.B. Barker, D.C. Holloway and Mr. Anders Ladegaard-Pedersen (Swedish Detonics Research Foundation). The research work was dynamic in nature and involved the application of dynamic photoelasticity, dynamic holography, or high speed photography.
KeywordsFracture Toughness Stress Intensity Factor Crack Initiation Stress Wave Fringe Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ladegaard-Pedersen, A., Fourney, W.L., and Dally, J.W., “Investigation of Pre-splitting and Smooth Blasting Techniques in Construction Blasting”, Report to NSF, Dec. 1974, NSF-RA-T-75–015.Google Scholar
- Foster, Clement LeNene, “A Treatise of Ore and Stone Minning”, Charles Griffin amp; Company, 6th Edition, 1905.Google Scholar
- Langefors, U. and Kihlstrom, B., “Rock Blasting”, John Wiley and Son, pp. 300–301, 1963.Google Scholar
- Ouchterlony, Finn, “Fracture Mechanics Applied to Rock Blasting”, 3rd Int. Congress of the Int. Soc. for Rock Mechanics.Google Scholar
- Ouchterlony, Finn, “Analys av Spanningstillstandet Kruig Nogra Olika Geometrier Med Radiellt Ricktade Sprickor 1 Ett Oandlight Plant Medium Under Inverkan av Expansionkrafter”, Swedish Detonic Research Foundation Report, DS 1972: 11, 1972.Google Scholar
- Etheridge, M.J. and Dally, J.W., “A Three Parameter Method for Determining Stress Intensity Factors from Isochromatic Fringe Loops”, Journal of Strain Analysis, 1977.Google Scholar
- Irwin, G.R. et.al., “A Photoelastic Characterization of Dynamic Fracture”, NRC Report NUREG 0072, Dec. 1976.Google Scholar
- Irwin, G.R. et.al., “A Photoelastic Study of the Dynamic Fracture Behavior of Homalite 100”, NRC Report NUREG 751107, Sept. 1975.Google Scholar
- Dally, J.W. and Fourney, W.L., “Fracture Control in Construction Blasting”, University of Maryland, Report to NSF, November 1976.Google Scholar