Additional Constraints in the Group Theoretical Approach to Integer Programming
One of the most promising ways to obtain more efficient algorithms in integer programming is based on the determination of equivalent integer programming problems with a lower computational complexity.
In this paper we are concerned with equivalent problems obtained via a group theoretic approach and via the introduction of additional constraints. The procedure proposed consists in a manipulation of the ILP problem by adding a new unbinding constraint, in order to obtain a new problem and a new dual feasible basis such that the associated group pro blem has a computational complexity lower than the group pro blem associated to the original ILP problem.
KeywordsInteger Programming Additional Constraint Linear Programming Problem Geometrical Form Integrity Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.S. GARFINKEL, G.L. NEMHAUSER: Integer programming. John Wiley and Sons, 1972.Google Scholar
- S. ZIONTS: Linear and integer programming. Prentice-Hall Inc., 1974.Google Scholar
- T.C. HU, S.M. ROBINSON: Mathematical programming. Academic Press, 1973.Google Scholar
- A.M. GEOFFRION: Lagrangian Relaxation for Integer Programming. Mathematical Programming Study 2, 1974.Google Scholar
- M.P. WILLIAMS: Experiments in the Formulation of Integer Programming Problems. Mathematical Programming Study 2, 1974.Google Scholar
- E.M.L. BEALE, J.A. TOMLIN: An integer programming approach to a class of combinatorial problems. Mathematical Programming 3, 1972.Google Scholar
- G.T. ROSS, R.M. SOLAND: A branch and bound algorithm for the generalized assignment problem. Mathematical Programming 8, 1975.Google Scholar
- R.C. JENSLOW: The principles of cutting-plane theory Graduate School of Industrial Administration. Carnegie-Mellon University (Part I, Feb. 1974; Part I I, Aug. 1975 ).Google Scholar
- S. GIULIANELLI, M. LUCERTINI: A decomposition technique in integer linear programming. 7th IFIP Conference, Nice, Sept. 1975.Google Scholar
- S. GIULIANELLI, M. LUCERTINI: A group decomposition technique in Zarge integer programming problems. IFAC Symposium on Large Scale Systems, Udine, June 1976.Google Scholar
- L.A. WOLSEY: Extensions of the group theoretic approach in integer programming. Management Science, Sept. 1971.Google Scholar
- G.A. GORRY, J.F. SHAPIRO, L.A. WOLSEY: Relaxation methods for pure and mixed integer programming problems. Management Science, Jan. 1972.Google Scholar
- S. MACLANE, G. BIRKHOFF: Algebra. The MacMillan Company, 1967.Google Scholar
- H.M. SALKIN: Integer programming. Adisson Wesley, 1975.Google Scholar
- S. GIULIANELLI, M. LUCERTINI: A method for reducing computational complexity of ILPC problems. Ricerche di Automatica, Dec. 1977.Google Scholar
- F. NIVEN, H.Z. ZUCKERMAN: An introduction to the theory of numbers. Wisley, 1972.Google Scholar
- E. POLAK: Computational methods in Optimization. Academic Press, 1971.Google Scholar