A Characterization of Reductions among Combinatorial Problems
In this paper we introduce the concept of convex optimi zation problem associated to an NP-complete set and we study the combinatorial properties of families of such problems. The notion of structure is introduced and through this notion approximability properties and a partial ordering of families of optimization problems are shown.
KeywordsTuring Machine Combinatorial Problem Structure Preserve Finite Graph Input Element
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G.AUSIELLO, A.D’ATRI, M.PROTASI: On the structure of combinatorial problems and structure preserving reductions. Proc. 4th Int. Coll. on Automata, Languages and Programming Turku, 1977.Google Scholar
- G.AUSIELLO, A.D’ATRI, M.GAUDIANO, M.PROTASI: Classes of structurally isomorphic NP-optimization problems. Proc. 6th Symp. on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Tatranska Lomnica, 1977.Google Scholar
- L.BERMAN, J.HARTMANIS: On polynomial time isomorphisms of complete sets. Proc. 3rd GI Conference, Darmstadt, 1977.Google Scholar
- S.COOK: The complexity of theorems proving procedures. Proc. 3rd ACM Symp. Theory of Computing, 1971.Google Scholar
- M.R.GAREY, D.S.JOHNSON: The complexity of near-optimal graph coloring. J. of ACM, 23–1, 1976.Google Scholar
- J.HARTMANIS, L.BERMAN: On isomorphisms and density of NP and other complete sets. Proc. 8th ACM Symp. Theory of Computing, 1976.Google Scholar
- D.JC±NSON: Approximation algorithms for combinatorial problems. J. of Comp. Syst. Sci, 9,1974.Google Scholar
- R.M.KARP: Reducibility among combinatorial problems. In complexity of computer computations. R.E.Miller and J.W.Thatcher Eds. Plenum Prees, New York, 1972.Google Scholar
- S.MORAN, A.PAZ: NP-optimization problems and their approximation. Proc. 4th Int. Coll. on Automata, Languages and Programming, Turku, 1977.Google Scholar
- S.SAHNI: Algorithms for scheduling independent tasks. J. of ACM, 23–1, 1976.Google Scholar
- S.SAHNI, T.GONZALES: P-Complete problems and approximate solutions. Proc. IEEE 15th Symp. on Switching and Automata Theory, 1974.Google Scholar
- J.SIMON: On Some Central Problems in Computational Complexity. Cornell University TR 75–224, 1975.Google Scholar