Non-Deterministic Polynomial Optimization Problems and Their Approximation
NP-problems are considered in this paper as recognition problems over some alphabet Σ, i.e. A ⊂ Σ* is is an NP problem if there exists a NDTM (non-deterministic Turing machine) recognizing A in polynomial time. It is easy to show that the following theorem holds true.
KeywordsPolynomial Time Turing Machine STEINER Tree Node Cover Clique Cover
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AHU 74]A.V. AHO, J.E.HOPCROFT and J.D.ULLMAN: The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison Wesley (1974).Google Scholar
- [Co 71]S.A.COOK: The Complexity of Theorem Proving Procedures,3-rd STOC (1971), pp. 151–158.Google Scholar
- [FHK 76]G.N.FREDERICKSON, M.S.HECHT and C.E.KIM: Approximation Algorithms for some Routing Problems, 17-th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computing Sciences, pp. 216–227.Google Scholar
- [GHS 74]M.R.GAREY, D.S.JOHNSON and L.STOCKMEYER: Some Simplified NP-Complete Problems,6-th STOC (1974), pp. 47–63.Google Scholar
- [HB 76]J.HARTMANIS and L.BERMAN: On Isomorphism and Density of NP and Other Complete Sets, 8-th STOC (1976), pp. 30–40Google Scholar
- [Jo 73]D.S.JOHNSON: Approximation Algorithms for Comcinatorial Problems, 5-th STOC (1973), pp.3849.Google Scholar
- [Ka 72]R.M.KARP: Reducibility among Combinatorial Problems, R.E.Miller and J.W.Thatcher (eds.), Plenum Press, N.Y. (1972), pp. 85–104.Google Scholar
- [Kn 74]D.E.KNUTH: Postcript about NP Hard Problems, SIGAT News, 23, (April 1974) pp. 15–16.Google Scholar
- [PS 76]C.H.PAPADIMITRIOU and K.STEIGLITZ: Some Complexity. Results for the TSP, 8-th STOC (1976), pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- [Sa 76]S.SAHNI: General Techniques for Combinatorial Approximation, TR. 76–6, University of Minnesota, Dept. of Computer Sciences, (1976).Google Scholar