Estimating Power of Walking: Method and Instrumentation
The paper presents an unconventional method of assessing the average power developed in the three main leg joints, and the hip joint separately, of a normal middle-aged and young man, during walking.
Up till now measurement and calculation of parameters of human gait has required very expensive devices.
The method enables the exclusion of very expensive measuring equipment, produced only in highly developed countries, from the power assessment process.
Using this method as a foundation, a new type of wireless electrogoniometer for dynamic multi-step human bipedal locomotion under field conditions was build. Currently investigations generalising the proposed method are under way.
KeywordsAverage Power Ankle Joint Support Phase Normal Walking Gait Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jawórek K.: Methods of evaluation of the power developed in a man’s leg during normal walking. Proc. of 9th CISM-IFToMM Symp. on Theory and Practice of Robots and Manipulators, Ro.Man.Sy-9, CISM, Udine, Sept 1–4, 1992, ed. by Springer-Verlag, London, 1993, pp. 322–332.Google Scholar
- Jaworek K., Ferenc A.: A simplified assessment’s method of human gait. Proceedings of the 2nd Polish-Italian Seminar, April 20–21, 1993, edited by G.Belingardi zhaohuan F.A.Raffa, Politecnico di Torino, Torino, Italy, 1993, pp. 89–96.Google Scholar
- Winter D. A.: The Biomechanics and Motor Control of Human Gait. Ed. by Waterloo University, Canada, 1987.Google Scholar
- Jaworek K., Olney S.: Gait Assessment and Human Motion Indicators of the Elderly Persons. Proc. of the 8th World Congress on the TMM, Prague, August 26–31, 1991, vol. V, pp. 1455–1457.Google Scholar
- Jaworek K.: Indices of human motion during walking and running. Abstract Book of XIII th International Congress on Biomechanics, Perth, Western Australia, December 9–13, 1991, pp. 351–352.Google Scholar
- Jaworek K.: Indices method of assessing human gait and run. D.Sc. Dissertation. Ed. by International Center of Biocybernetics, Warsaw, Poland, 1993 (in polish).Google Scholar
- Gola M. M., Guglietta A.: An improved experimental device for simplified gait analysis. Int.Conf.Exper.Mech., Beijing, 1985.Google Scholar
- Gola M. M., Guglietta A.: An improved experimental device for simplified gait analysis. Mat. Ogdlnopolskiej Konf. Biomechaniki, Gdafisk, Poland, July 22–24, 1987, pp. 631–639.Google Scholar