Wave Solutions in Linear Viscoelastic Materials
Dissipative materials are modelled as linear viscoelastic and the thermodynamic restrictions are investigated in detail. For definiteness, attention is mainly confined to solids. Some concepts about thermodynamics and dissipativity in materials with memory are re-visited. Next wave propagation is considered and emphasis is given to the consequences of thermodynamic restrictions on the amplitude evolution. Waves are described as surface discontinuities, time-harmonic waves, rays. The known properties of surface discontinuities are recalled to emphasize the exponential attenuation induced by thermodynamics. Particular attention is then addressed to the description of time-harmonic inhomogeneous waves and asymptotic rays in isotropic and anisotropic solids. Recent results are exhibited along with some work in progress.
KeywordsPlane Wave Wave Solution Thermodynamic Restriction Viscoelastic Body Inhomogeneous Wave
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Boltzmann, L.: Zur Theorie der elastichen Nachwirkung, Sitzber. Kaiserl. Akad. Wiss. Wien, Math.-Naturw. Kl. 70 (1874), 275–300.Google Scholar
- 9.Leitman, M. J. and G. M. C. Fisher: The linear theory of viscoelasticity, in: Encyclopedia of Physics, vol. VIa/3 (Ed. C. Truesdell ), Springer, Berlin, 1973.Google Scholar
- 12.Morro, A.: Temperature waves in rigid materials with memory, Meccanica 12 (1977), 73–77.Google Scholar
- 13.Fisher, G. M. C.: The decay of plane waves in the linear theory of viscoelasticity, Brown University, Report NONR 562 (40)/2, Providence, RI, 1965.Google Scholar
- 19.Poirée, B.: Complex harmonic plane waves, in: Physical Acoustics (Eds. O. Leroy and M. A. Breazeale), Plenum, New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- 20.Aki, K. and P. G. Richards: Quantitative Seismology I Freeman, San Francisco, 1980; p. 170.Google Scholar
- 21.Morro, A.: Wave propagation in dissipative solids, Proc. Workshop “Advanced mathematical tools in metrology”, Turin, 1993.Google Scholar
- 22.Hayes, M.: Inhomogeneous plane waves, Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 85 (1984), 41–79.Google Scholar
- 27.Chadwick, P.: Wave propagation in transversely isotropic elastic media I. Homogenous plane waves, Proc. Roy. Soc. London A 422 (1989), 23–66.Google Scholar
- 31.Caviglia, G. and A. Morro: Inhomogeneous waves in anisotropie dissipative solids,Continuum Mech. Thermodyn., to appear.Google Scholar
- 33.Caviglia, G. and A. Morro: Asymptotic rays in pre-stressed, anisotropie, dissipative solids,in preparation.Google Scholar