The Oblique Flying Wing Transport
In the last thirty-five years there have been numerous attempts to design an economical large long range supersonic transport aircraft. However, aircraft design teams around the world have not been successful at designing a ‘Concorde’ type large long range supersonic transport with realistic technology assumptions. It therefore seems only natural to look for other configurations that might fullfil this specification. The oblique flying wing configuration presented in this paper is unusual but we will show that it makes sense from both a technical and economical perspective.
KeywordsDelta Wing Side Force Sweep Angle Sonic Boom Trail Edge Flap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jones, R. T. The Supersonic Flying Wing, Aerospace America, November 1986Google Scholar
- Küchemann, D. The Aerodynamic Design of Aircraft, Pergamon Press, 1979Google Scholar
- Lee, G. H. Slewed Wing Supersonics, The Aeroplane, March 1961Google Scholar
- Morris, S. J., Tigner, B. Flight Tests of an Oblique Flying Wing Small-Scale Demonstrator, Stanford University, unpublished, September 1994Google Scholar
- Smith, J. H. B. Lift/Drag Ratios of Optimised Stewed Elliptic Wings at Supersonic Speeds, The Aeronautical Quarterly, August 1961Google Scholar
- Ursinus, O. Flugzeug mit schwingbaren Tragflächen, Flugsport no. 21, 15 Oktober 1913 (information courtesy of Steve Ransom)Google Scholar
- Van der Velden, A. J. M. The Conceptual Design of a Mach 2.0 Oblique Flying Wing Supersonic Transport, NASA CR 1777529, May 1989 (edited version of the December 1987 report)Google Scholar
- Van der Velden, A. J. M., Kroo, I. The Sonic Boom of an Oblique Flying Wing, Journal of Aircraft, Jan.-Feb. 1994.Google Scholar
- Van der Velden, A. J. M. Aerodynamic Design and Synthesis of the Oblique Flying Wing Supersonic Transport, PhD-thesis Stanford University, Dept. Aero Astro SUDAAR 621, Univ. Microfilms no. DA9234183, June 1992Google Scholar
- Van der Velden, A. J. M., Von Reith, D. Multi-Disciplinary SCT Design at Deutsche Aerospace Airbus, 7th European Aerospace Conference EAC ‘94. 25–27 October 1994 Toulouse.Google Scholar
- Waters, M., Ardema, M., Kroo, I. Structural and Aerodynamic Considerations for an Oblique All-Wing Aircraft, Aircraft Design, Systems and Operations Conference AIAA 92–4420, Hilton Head August 1992.Google Scholar