Seismic Disaster Prevention in the History of Structures in Greece
Living in a country of frequent and high seismic activity and observing the disastrous influence of that activity to the constructions for several thousands of years, people recognized form the very early stages of the history the necessity of the aseismic behaviour of the buildings.
Many related techniques have been developed for at least 35 centuries and are still developing under the impetus of the modern technology.
This paper is trying to describe some characteristic aseismic traditional techniques in Greece and to formulate their basic principles.
KeywordsSeismic Action Aseismic Culture Stone Wall Stone Masonry Timber Frame
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. EBERHARD, “ARCHITECTS AND EARTHQUAKES” New York 1975.Google Scholar
- 2.CHR. ARNOLD, R. REITHERMAN, “BUILDING CONFIGU- RATION AND SEISMIC DESIGN” New York 1982.Google Scholar
- 3.P. CARYDIS, O. VAGELATOU, I. VLACHOS, M. XINOSTATHI, P. TOULIATOS, K. HOLEVAS, “RESEARCH FOR THE CONSTRUCTIONAL ASEISMIC REGULATION”, Athens 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.DOUMAS C., (AD), “THERA AND THE AEGEAN WORLD I-II”, London 197880.Google Scholar
- 5.DOUMAS C., (AD), “THERA AND THE AEGEAN WORLD III”, 24–30, London 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.D. GANTE, M. MITROPOULOS, “LEFKAS EARTHQUAKE - RESISTANT BUILDING TECHNOLOGY OF THE 17th CENTURY. RESEARCH NTUA”, Athens 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.GREEK TRADITIONAL ARCHITECTURE PUBLISHED BY “MELISSA”, Athens 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.M. KORRES, CH. BOURAS, “STUDY FOR THE RESTORATION OF PARTHENON”, Athens 1983.Google Scholar
- 9.C. PALYVOU, “AKROTIRI, THERA: BUILDING TECHNIQUES AND MORPHOLOGY IN LATE CYCLADIC ARCHITECTURE”. P.H.F. THESIS N.T.U.A., Athens 1988.Google Scholar
- 10.ROWLAND MAINSTONE “HAGIA SOPHIA”, London 1988.Google Scholar
- 11.P. TOULIATOS, “INTERVENTIONS ON ARCHITECTURAL MONUMENTS AND HISTORICAL SETTLEMENTS, SEISMIC BEHAVIOUR OF TRADITIONALLY CONSTRUCTED BUILDINGS REPAIRS AND REINFORCEMENTS”, Heraklio Crete 1988.Google Scholar
- 12.P. TOULIATOS, “THE SEISMIC DESIGN OF THE TIMBER CONSTRUCTION OF THE PAST AND TODAY”, 1st GREEK CONFERENCE ON ASEISMIC ENGINEERING AND SEISMOLOGY, 2nd VOLUME, Athens 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.E. TSAKANIKA, S. LASOURAS, “TRADITIONALLY BUILT STRUCTURE OF THE 16th CENTURY”. DIPLOMA THESIS N.T.U.A., Athens 1988.Google Scholar