A Hierarchical Approach to Periodic Scheduling of Large Scale Traffic Light Systems
A method for the fixed-time signal traffic light control problem is proposed for large metropolitan areas. Its characteristics are: a multiobjective formulation focusing on desired offsets, a hierarchical structure derived from the problem in order to reduce complexity and an interactive strategy for implicitly assessing a performance measure. The core of the method is a mathematical model for scheduling periodic phenomena.
KeywordsFeasible Solution Cycle Time Traffic Light Clearance Time Periodic Schedule
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. I. Robertson, “TRANSYT: a traffic network study tool”, RRL Report LR 253, 1969.Google Scholar
- J. D. C. Little, M. D. Kelson and N. H. Gartner, “MAXBAND: A Program for Setting Signals on Arteries and Triangular Networks”, Transportation Research Record, N. 795, 40–6, 1981.Google Scholar
- M. Drouin, H. Abou-Kandil, G. Dib, P. Bertrand, “A new approach for real-time control of urban traffic networks”, Proc. IFAC/IFIP/IFORS.4th Int. Symp. on Traffic Control Systems, Baden-Baden, 239–243, 1983.Google Scholar
- N. H. Gartner, “OPAC: A Demand Responsive Strategy for Traffic Signal Control”, Transportation Research Record, 906, 75–81, 1983.Google Scholar
- R. Boettger, “Online Optimization of the Offset in Signalized Street Networks”, Proc. IEE Conference on Road Traffic Signalling, London, 1982.Google Scholar
- A. J. Al-Khalili, “Urban Traffic Control - A General Approach”, IEEE Tr. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-15, No. 2, 260–271, 1985.Google Scholar
- B.G. Heydecker and I.W. Dudgeon, “Calculation of Signal Settings to Minimize Delay at a Junction”, in Transportation and Traffic Theory, N.H. Gartner and N.H.M. Wilson (eds.), Elsevier, New York, 1987Google Scholar
- P. Serafini and W. Ukovich, “A mathematical model for periodic scheduling problems”, SIAM J. on Discrete Mathematics, vol. 2, n. 4, p. 550–581., 1989Google Scholar
- R. T. Rockafellar, Network Flows and Mono tropic Optimization,Wiley, 1984.Google Scholar