A Decision Support System for the Management of Como Lake: Structure, Implementation and Performance
We review an application oriented study on the real time management of Lake Como, a natural multipurpose reservoir in Northern Italy. Emphasis is on the DSS that resulted from the study and has been used by the manager for several years to take his daily decision on the amount of water to be released from the lake. The structure of the DSS, based on the solutions of complex multiobjective deterministic and stochastic optimal control problems, is presented and the performance of the DSS during the first years of use is analyzed.
KeywordsSnow Cover Lake Level Operating Rule Reservoir Management Stochastic Optimal Control Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Guariso G., and Werthner H.: Environmental Decision Support Systems, Ellis Horwood, Chichester, UK 1989.Google Scholar
- Loucks D. P. (ed): Systems Analysis for Water Resources Management: Closing the Gap between Theory and Practice, IAHS Publications n. 180, IAHS Press, Wallingford, UK 1989.Google Scholar
- Fedra, K. (ed.): Expert Systems for Integrated Develpment: a Case Study of Shanxi Province The People’s Republic of China. Final Report Voll. I,II,III. International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria 1968.Google Scholar
- Zielinski P., Guariso G., and Rinaldi S.: A heuristic approach for improving reservoir management: Application to Lake Como, Proceedings International Symposium on Real-time Operation of Hydrosystems, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, 1981.Google Scholar
- Helweg O.J., Hinks R.W., and Ford D.T.: Reservoir system optimization, Water Resources Planning and Management Division of the ASCE, 108 (2) (1982), 169–179.Google Scholar
- Garofalo F., Raffa U., and Soncini-Sessa R.: Identification of Lake Como management policy (in Italian), Proceedings of the 17th Italian Symposium on Hydraulics, Palermo, Italy, 1980.Google Scholar
- Guariso G., Rinaldi S., and Soncini-Sessa R.: Analysis of the reliability of a proposal for the management of Lake Como (in Italian), Proceedings of the 18th Italian Symposium on Hydraulics, Bologna, Italy, 1982.Google Scholar
- Guariso G., Orlovski S., Rinaldi S., and Soncini-Sessa R.: A risk-averse approach the management of Lake Como, Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, Budapest, Hungary, 1984.Google Scholar
- Guariso G., Orlovski S., Rinaldi S., and Soncini-Sessa R.: An application of the risk-averse approach the management of Lake Como, Journal of Applied Systems Analysis 5 (2) (1984), 54–64.Google Scholar
- Guariso G., Rinaldi S.,Soncini-Sessa R.,”Can a Microcomputer Help the Manager of a Multipurpose Reservoir? The Experience of Lake Como”, Proc. Int. Symp. on Lake and Reservoir Management, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA, 1983, 575–579.Google Scholar