On Nonlinear Analysis of Shells Using Finite Elements Based on Mixed Interpolation of Tensorial Components
Most of the research work developed in the area of nonlinear finite element analysis of shells since 1970 has been done on elements that while being based on the Ahmad-Irons-Zienkiewicz element overcome the locking problem. In particular, the elements based on mixed interpolation of tensorial components belong to the above mentioned set. In this Chapter, the formulation of these elements is reviewed. Its implementation in general purpose nonlinear finite element codes is examined and some modelling considerations are discussed.
KeywordsShell Element Tensorial Component Nonlinear Finite Element Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis Director Vector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ramm, E.: A plate/shell element for large deflections and rotations, in: Formulations and Computational Algorithms in Finite Element Analysis (Eds. K.J.Bathe et. al. ), M.I.T. Press, 1977.Google Scholar
- 3.Krâkeland, B.: Large displacement analysis of shells considering elasto-plastic and elasto-viscoplastic materials, The Norwegian Institute of Technology, Univ. of Trondheim, Norway, Report 77–6 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.Bathe, K.J.: Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1982.Google Scholar
- 9.Dvorkin, E.N.: On nonlinear finite element analysis of shell structures, Ph.D.Thesis, Dept. of Mech. Eng., M.I.T., Cambridge, Mass., U.S.A. (1984)Google Scholar
- 11.Green, A.E. and Zerna W.: Theoretical Elasticity, Oxford University Press, 1968.Google Scholar
- 12.Irons, B.M. and Razzaque, A.: Experience with the patch test for convergence of finite elements, in: The Mathematical Foundations of the Finite Element Method with Applications to Partial Differential Equations (Ed. A.K. Aziz ), Academic Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- 13.Zienkiewicz, O.C. and Taylor, R.L.: The Finite Element Method ( Fourth Edition ), McGraw Hill, 1989.Google Scholar
- 17.Strang, G. and Fix, G.J.: An Analysis of the Finite Element Method, Prentice Hall, 1973.Google Scholar
- 21.OlIate, E; Dvorkin, E.N.; Canga, M. and Oliver, J.: On the obtention of the tangent matrix for geometrically nonlinear analysis using continuum based beam/shell finite elements, in: Computational Mechanics of Nonlinear Response of Shells (Eds. W.B. Krätzig and E. Ofiate ), Springer-Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- 23.Dvorkin, E.N. and Assanelli, A.P.: Elasto-plastic analysis using a quadrilateral 2D element based on mixed interpolation of tensorial components, in: Computational Plasticity (Eds. D.R.J. Owen et al.), Pineridge Press, 1989.Google Scholar