How to Fold a Membrane
Due to their small thickness, membranes can be easily bent, but are comparatively difficult to stretch. Hence, in studying the packaging of membranes it is normal to model them as inextensional plates of zero thickness.
KeywordsGaussian Curvature Solar Sail Folding Pattern Mechanical Advantage Single Fold
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cambridge Consultants Ltd (1989), Design study for a Mars spacecraft,Technical Report. Duncan, J. P. and Duncan, J. L. (1982). Folded Developables. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 383: 191–205.Google Scholar
- Guest, S. D. and Pellegrino, S. (1992). Inextensional wrapping of flat membranes. In Proceedings of First International Seminar on Structural Morphology, Montpellier, La Grand Motte, 7–11 September 1992 (Edited by R. Motro and T. Wester ), 203–215. LMGC, Universite Montpellier II.Google Scholar
- Haas, F. (1994). Geometry and mechanics of hind-wing folding in Dermaptera and Coleoptera, M.Phil thesis, Exeter University.Google Scholar
- Huso, M. A. (1960). Sheet reel,U.S. Patent no 2942794.Google Scholar
- Lanford, W. E. (1961). Folding apparatus,U.S. Patent no 3010372.Google Scholar
- Miura, K. (1980). Method of packaging and deployment of large membranes in space, Proceedings of 31st IAF Congress, Tokyo, Paper no IAF-80-A31.Google Scholar
- Miura, K. (1989). A note on intrinsic geometry of Origami, Proceedings of International Meeting on Origami Science and Technology, Ferrara, Italy.Google Scholar
- Miura, K. and Natori, M. (1985). 2-D array experiment on board a space flyer unit. Space Solar Power Review, 5: 345–356.Google Scholar
- Miura, K., Sakamaki, M., Suzuki, K. (1980). A novel design of folded map, Congress of the International Cartographical Association, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- Natori, M. C., Kuninaka, H., Higuchi, K., Kawai, Y. and Ikegami, S. (1995). Two-dimensionally deployable high voltage (2D/HV) solar cell array experiment in space. In Proc. AIAA/ASME/ ASCE/AHS/ASC 36th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference,10–12 April, 1995 New Orleans, AIAA-95–1512.Google Scholar
- Tanizawa, K. and Miura, K. (1978). Large displacement configuration of biaxially compressed infinite plate. Transactions of Japan Society of Aeronautics and Space Science, 20: 177–187.Google Scholar