Topology and Reinforcement Layout Optimization of Disk, Plate, and Shell Structures
This chapter deals with topology optimization problems for disks, plates and shells, and with problems of layout optimization of different types of reinforcement of plates and shells. Special emphasis is devoted to the solution of multiple load case stiffness maximization problems and to the solution of eigenfrequency maximization problems.
Two design parametrizations based on the application of layered microstructures of different rank are applied. In both formulations, a parametrization of the material/reinforcement distribution for a disk, plate or shell structure is obtained by modelling the material within each of the elements of a finite element discretized structure as a layered microstructure with a continuously variable density of material/reinforcement. The design variables of the optimization problem are the variables which control the composition of the layered microstructure, and hereby the density of material/reinforcement within each finite element. Furthermore, by allowing for four different configurations of each of the layered microstructures, we obtain formulations for solution of both topology optimization problems for disk, plate and shell structures, and for solution of reinforcement layout optimization problems for rib-stiffened plates and shells and internally stiffened honeycomb and sandwich plates and shells.
Stiffness maximization problems are treated as minimization problems for total elastic energy, and in the case of several independent load cases we either minimize a weighted sum of the total elastic energies, or the maximum total elastic energy from among all the load cases. The optimization problems are solved by means of mathematical programming based on analytical design sensitivity analysis, and examples of solution of maximum stiffness layout problems are presented.
Eigenfrequency maximization problems are considered as maximization problems for the lower bound on a given set of eigenvalues of vibration. The main difficulty associated with solution of such problems is that multiple eigenvalues may exist and that these are non-differentiable with respect to the design parameters. However, it is shown that, despite the lack of usual differentiability properties, such problems may be treated like differentiable optimization problems, if some restrictions are imposed on the vector of design changes at each iteration. In this way, we have developed a new general method for solution of eigenfrequency optimization problems which can handle problems with simple as well as multiple eigenvalues of vibration. This method is particularly attractive since it only requires ordinary methods for design sensitivity analysis and mathematical programming. Several numerical examples pertaining to solution of layout optimization problems with multiple eigenvalues are presented.
KeywordsDesign Sensitivity Stiffness Tensor Topology Optimization Problem Mindlin Plate Multiple Eigenvalue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kohn, RV; Strang, G. Optimal Design and Relaxation of Variational Problems. Comm. Pure Appl. Math., 39: 1–25(part I), 139–182(partll) and 353–357 (partlll), 1986.Google Scholar
- Diaz, A; Lipton, R; Soto, CA. A New Formulation of the Problem of Optimum Reinforcement of Reissner-Mindlin Plates. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mechs. Engrg, 1994.Google Scholar
- Olhoff, N; Thomsen, J; Rasmussen, J. Topology Optimization of Bi-Material Structures. In Pedersen, P, editor, Optimal Design with Advanced Materials, pages 191–206, Lyngby, Denmark, 1993. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, K; Kikuchi, N. Layout Optimization using the Homogenization Method: Generalized Layout Design of Three-Dimensional Shells for Car Bodies. In Rozvany, GIN, editor, Optimization of Large Structural Systems, pages 110–126, Berchtesgaden, Germany, 1991. Nato-ASI, Lecture Notes, 1991.Google Scholar
- Soto, CA; Diaz, AR. Optimum Layout of Plate Structures using Homogenization. In Bendsoe, MP; Mota Soares, CA, editors, Topology Design of Structures, pages 407–420, Sesimbra, Portugal, 1993. Nato ASI, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- Soto, CA; Diaz, AR. A Model for Layout Optimization of Plate Structures. In Pedersen, P, editor, Optimal Design with Advanced Materials, pages 337–350, Lyngby, Denmark, 1993. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- Soto, CA; Diaz, AR. Layout of Plate Structures for Improved Dynamic Responce using a Homogenization Method. In Gilmore et. al.,, editor, Advances in Design Automatization, pages 667–674, Albuquerqe, New-Mexico, USA, 1993. ASME, 1993.Google Scholar
- Krog, LA; Olhoff, N. Topology Optimization of Integral Rib Reinforcement of Plate and Shell Structures with Weighted-Sum and Max-Min Objectives. In Bestle, D; Schiehlen, W, editors, Optimization of Mechanical Systems., pages 171–179, Stuttgart, Germany, 1995. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1996.Google Scholar
- Folgado, J; Rodrigues, H; Guedes, JM. Layout Design of Plate Reinforcements with a Buckling Load Criterion. In Olhoff, N; Rozvany, GIN, editors, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pages 659–666, Goslar, Germany, 1995. ISSMO, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1995.Google Scholar
- Bendsoe, MP. Optimization of Structural Topology, Shape, and Material. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 1995.Google Scholar
- Bendsoe, M.P.; Mota Soares, C.A., editors. Topology Design of Structures. NATO ASI, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- Pedersen, P, editor. Optimal Design with Advanced Materials. Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.Google Scholar
- Olhoff, N; Rozvany, GIN, editors. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Goslar, Germany, 1995. Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1995.Google Scholar
- Krog, LA. Layout Optimization of Disk, Plate, and Shell Structures. Ph.D thesis, Special Report No. 27, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Aalborg University, Denmark, 1996.Google Scholar
- Soto, CA. Shape Optimization of Plate Structures using Plate Homogenization with Applications in Mechanical Design. Ph.D thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, USA, 1993.Google Scholar
- Thomsen, J. Optimization of Properties of Anisotropic Materials and Topologies of Structures (in Danish). Ph.D thesis, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Aalborg University, Denmark, 1992.Google Scholar
- Avellaneda, M; Milton, GW. Bounds on the Effective Elastic Tensor of Composites based on Two-Point Correlations. In Hui, D; Kozik, TJ, editors, Composite Material Technology, pages 89–93. ASME, 1989.Google Scholar
- Vinson, JR; Sierakowski, RL. The Behaviour of Structures Composed of Composite Materials. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 1987.Google Scholar
- Lipton, R; Diaz, A. Moment Formulations for Optimum Layout in 3D Elasticity. In Olhoff, N; Rozvany, GIN, editors, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pages 161–168, Goslar, Germany, 1995. Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1995.Google Scholar
- Krein, MG; Nudelman, AA. The Markov Moment Problem and Extremal Problems. Translation of Mathematical Monographs, 50. American Mathematical Society, 1977.Google Scholar
- Masur, EF. Optimum Stiffness and Strength of Elastic Structures. J. Engng. Mech. Div, ASCE, 96: 621–640, 1970.Google Scholar
- Courant, R; Hilbert, D. Methods of Mathematical Physics, volume 1. Interscience Publishers, New York, USA, 1953.Google Scholar
- Wittrick, WH. Rates of Change of Eigenvalues, With Reference to Buckling and Vibration Problems. Journal of Royal Aeronautical Society, 66: 590–591, 1962.Google Scholar
- Lund, E. Finite Element Based Design Sensitivity Analysis and Optimization. Ph.D thesis, Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Aalborg University, Denmark, 1994.Google Scholar
- Diaz, A; Kikuchi, N. Solution to Shape and Topology Eigenvalue Optimization Problems using a Homogenization Method. Int. J. Num. Meth. in Engng.,35: 1487–1502, 1992.Google Scholar
- Ma, ZD; Kikuchi, N; Cheng, HC; Hagiwara, I. Topology and Shape Optimization Technique for Free Vibration Problems. In ASME Winter Annular Meeting, pages 127–138, Anaheim, California, USA, 1992. ASME, 1992.Google Scholar
- Krog, LA; Olhoff, N. Topology Optimization of Plate and Shell Structures with Multiple Eigenfrequencies. In Olhoff, N; Rozvany, GIN, editors, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, pages 675–682, Goslar, Germany, 1995. Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1995.Google Scholar