Fundamentals of Direct Methods in Poroplasticity
A nonlinear initial-boundary-value coupled problem, central to poroplasticity, is formulated under the hypotheses of small deformations, quasi-static regime, full saturation, linear Darcy diffusion law and piecewise-linearized stable and hardening poroplastic material model. After a preliminary nonconventional multifield (mixed) finite element modelling, shakedown and upper bound theorems are presented and discussed, numerically tested and applied to dam engineering situations using commercial linear and quadratic programming solvers. Limitations of the presented methodology and future prospects are discussed in the conclusions.
KeywordsSafety Factor External Action Solid Skeleton Yield Plane Plastic Multiplier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ceradini, G. (1969). Sull’adattamento dei corpi elastoplastici soggetti ad azioni dinamiche. Giornale del Genio Civile. 415: 239–258.Google Scholar
- Cocchetti, G. and Maier, G. (2000b). Upper bounds on postshakedown quantities in poroplasticity. In Weichert, D. and Maier, G., eds., Inelastic Analysis of Structures under Variable Repeated Loads. Kluwer. 289–314.Google Scholar
- Cocchetti, G. and Maier, G. (2001). A shakedown theorem in poroplastic dynamics. Rend. Acc. Naz. Lincei. (accepted for publication).Google Scholar
- Gao, D. Y. (1999). Duality principles in nonconvex systems; theory, methods and applications. Dordrecht: Kluwer Acad. Publ.Google Scholar
- Kaliszky, S. (1989). Plasticity: theory and engineering applications. Amsterdam: Elsevier. König, J. A. (1987). Shakedown of elastic plastic structures. Amsterdam: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Lewis, R. W. and Schrefler, B. A. (1998). The finite element method in the static and dynamic deformation and consolidation of porous media. Chichester: John Wiley zhaohuan Sons, 2nd edition.Google Scholar
- Maier, G. (1970). A matrix structural theory of piecewise-linear plasticity with interacting yield planes. Meccanica. 5: 55–66.Google Scholar
- Maier, G. (1976). Piecewise linearization of yield criteria in structural plasticity. Solid Mechanics Archives. 2/3: 239–281.Google Scholar
- Maier, G., Carvelli, V. and Cocchetti, G. (2000). On direct methods for shakedown and limit analysis. European Journal of Mechanics A/Solids. Special Issue. 19: 79–100.Google Scholar
- Maier, G. and Comi, C. (1997). Variational finite element modelling in poroplasticity. In Reddy, B. D., ed., Recent Developments in Computational and Applied Mechanics. Barcelona: CIMNE, 180–199.Google Scholar
- Weichert, D. and Maier, G., eds. (2000). Inelastic analysis of structures under variable repeated loads. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar