Patient Simulator for Mouth Opening and Closing Training
This paper describes the skull robot as a patient simulator for the mouth opening and closing training. The rehabilitation for the patients who have problems on the jaw joint have been done primarily based on the doctor’s qualitative experience and technique that is unknown to other people. The authors developed a skull robot WOJ-1R as a mechanical patient simulator. This skull robot will be useful for the doctor to develop the strategy of training for the real human patient. Also, it will quantitatively clarify the effectiveness of the robot’s therapy compared with therapy by human. Experimental result of biting force comparison, robot therapy’s force data acting on the skull robot was smaller than the conventional therapy by human.
KeywordsMouth Opening Temporomandibular Joint Patient Simulator Human Skull Front Tooth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ohtsuki, K., Ohnishi, M., Tsuzi, M., Watai, Y., Takanishi, A., Takanobu, H. (1995). Development of a mouth opening and closing apparatus using a mastication robot -the measurement of mouth-opening ability-, Journal of Japanese Society for Temporomandibular Joint, Vol. 7, No. 3, 69–78.Google Scholar
- Ohtsuki, K., Ozawa, D., Ohnishi, M., Takanobu, H., Takanishi, A. (1999). Development of mouth opening and closing training robot WY-4 -Treatment for patients with disturbance mandibular movement-, The 53rd annual meeting of the Japanese Stomatological Society, 218.Google Scholar
- Sohmura, T., Takahashi, J. (1996). Present condition of dental CAD/CAM system to fabricate prostheses, Journal of the Robotics Society ofJapan, Vol. 14, No. 5, 33–37.Google Scholar
- Takanobu, H., Yajima, T., Takanishi, A., Ohtsuki, K, Ohnishi, M. (1998) Mouth opening and closing training robot WY-1, IEEE Ro-Man ‘88, 71–76.Google Scholar
- Takanobu, H., Yajima, T., Nakazawa, M., Takanishi, A., Ohtsuki, K., Ohnishi, M. (1998). Quantification of masticatory efficiency with a mastication robot, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automations (ICRA ‘88), 1635–1640.Google Scholar
- Takanobu, H., Maruyama, T, Takanishi, A., Ohtsuki, K., Ohnishi, M. (2000). Mouth opening and closing training with 6-DOF parallel robot, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA2000), 1384–1389.Google Scholar