Damage Identification of Beams Using Static Test Data
A damage identification procedure for beams under static loads is presented. Damage is modelled through a damage distribution function which determines a variation of the beam stiffness with respect to a reference condition. Using the concept of the equivalent superimposed deformation, the equations governing the static problem are recast in a Fredholm’s integral equation of the second kind in terms of bending moments. The solution of this equation is obtained through an iterative procedure as well as in closed form. The latter is explicitly dependent from the damage parameters, thus, it can be conveniently used to set-up a damage identification procedure. Some numerical results are presented both to prove the validity of the proposed solution procedure, and to show its preformance in damage identification in presence of measurement noise.
KeywordsLoad Case Average Standard Deviation Damage Beam Modal Strain Energy Beam Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Bilello. Theoretical and experimental Investigation on Damaged Beams under Moving Systems. PhD. Thesis, Dip. Ing. Strut. e Geotec., Università degli Studi di Palermo, 2001.Google Scholar
- C. Davini, F. Gatti, and A. Morassi. A damage analysis of steelbeams. Meccanica, 22: 321–332, 1992.Google Scholar
- M. Di Paola. A new approach for the static analysis of linear elastic redundant trusses with uncertainties. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, under review, 2002.Google Scholar
- M. Di Paola and C. Bilello. An integral equation for damage identification of Euler-Bernoulli beams under static loads. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, under review, 2002.Google Scholar
- G. Hearn and R. B. Testa. Modal analysis for damage detection in structures. Journal of Structural Engineering, 117: 1798–1803, 1993.Google Scholar
- C. P Ratcliffe. A frequency and curvature based experimental method for locating damage in structure. Journal of Vibration and Acoustic, 226: 1029–1042, 1999.Google Scholar
- S. K. Thyagarajan, M. J. Schulz, and P. F. Pai. Detecting structural damage using frequency response functions. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 210:162–170, 1998. F. G. Tricorni. Lezioni sulle Equazioni Integrali. Editore Gheroni, 1958.Google Scholar