Dynamic Behaviour and Modelling of RC Beams Retrofitted with CFRP Sheets
A procedure for assessing stiffness variations due to damaging and retrofitting of reinforced concrete beams is presented in this paper. This procedure is based on modal analysis and testing. Two beams were subjected to cyclic loading at increasing load levels, in order to induce in them increasing cracking patterns. The beams were then retrofitted by externally bonded CFRP sheets. Modal tests were carried out after each loading-unloading cycle. A theoretical model was applied, in order to simulate the behaviour of the beams in each situation. This model is based on the concepts of Fracture Mechanics to evaluate the stiffness of cracked beam elements, with and without external strengthening. The theoretical results are in good agreement with the experimental ones. The research suggests that dynamic testing can be used to obtain useful information about the effectiveness of the strengthening system.
KeywordsFibre Reinforce Polymer Reinforced Concrete Beam Stiffness Variation Compliance Matrix CFRP Sheet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Arduini and A. Nanni, Behavior of Precracked RC Beams Strengthened with Carbon FRP Sheets,ournal of Composites for Construction, 1 (2), 1997.Google Scholar
- G. Eilbracht and M. Link, Identification of Crack Parameters in Concrete Beams using Modal Test Data, In roceeding of International Symposium on Non-Destructive Testing in Civil Engineering, pages 327–334, 1995.Google Scholar
- Bulletin 14, Externally bonded FRP reinforcement for RC structures, echnical report on the “Design and use of externally bonded fibre reinforced polymer reinforcement (FRP EBR) for reinforced concrete structures” by ‘EBR’ working party of fib TG 9.3, ISBN 2–88394–054–1, July 2001.Google Scholar
- G. Pascale and B. Bonfiglioli, Reinforced concrete beams damaged and repaired with GFRP: dynamic testing and modelling, In roceeding of International Conference on FRP composites in civil engineering, pages 441–448, 2001.Google Scholar
- G. Pascale, B. Bonfiglioli and F. Bastianini, Metodologie di indagine per la valutazione della qualità dei rinforzi in FRP applicati a strutture in calcestruzzo e altri materiali, In: roceedings of the XXIX Convegno Nazionale dell’Associazione Italiana per l’Analisi delle Sollecitazioni, pages 739–748, 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Pimentel, A. Pavic and P. Waldron, Vibration Performance of Footbridges Established Via Modal Testing, In: roceedings of IABSE Symposium “Structures for the Future-The Search for Quality”, pages 602–609, 1999.Google Scholar
- E. Viola and L. Federici, Modellazione del comportamento dinamico di un telaio con travi fessurate, In roceedings of the XXVII Convegno Nazionale dell’Associazione Italiana per l’Analisi delle Sollecitazioni, pages 1155–1164, 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Zonta, Structural damage detection and localization by using vibrational measurements, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Bologna, 2000.Google Scholar