Computational Aspects and Numerical Simulations in the Elastic Constants Identification
A numerical code for modeling crack propagation using the Cell Method is proposed. The Leon failure surface is used to compute the direction of crack propagation, and the new crack geometry is realized by an intra-element propagation technique. Automatic remeshing is then activated. Applications in Mode I, Mode II and Mixed Mode are presented to illustrate the robustness of the implementation.
KeywordsStress Intensity Factor Discrete Formulation Crack Inclination Crack Trajectory Limit Equilibrium State
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- E. Ferretti. Crack propagation modeling by remeshing using the Cell Method (CM). To appear in Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science, 3:, 2003.Google Scholar
- E. Ferretti. Identification of Constitutive Law in Mono-Axially Compressed Damaging Materials. Advanced in Fracture and Damage Mechanics II. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fracture and Damage Mechanics, pages 379–384, 2001.Google Scholar
- A.A. Griffith. The Phenomena of Rupture and Flow in Solids. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Ser. A, 221: 163–198, 1920.Google Scholar
- G.R. Irwin. Analysis of Stresses and Strains Near the Ends of a Crack Traversing a Plate. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 24 (3): 361–364, 1957.Google Scholar
- M.Y. Lenov, V.V. Panasyuk. Development of Minute Cracks in Solids. Prikladnaya Mekhanika, 5 (4): 391–401, 1959.Google Scholar
- V.V. Novozhilov. On the Foundations of the Theory of Equilibrium Cracks in Elastic Bodies. Prikladnaja Matematika i Mekhanika, 33 (5): 797–812, 1969.Google Scholar
- V.Z. Parton, E.M. Morozov. Elastic-Plastic Fracture Mechanics, MIR Publishers, 1978. E. Tonti. A Direct Discrete Formulation of Field Laws: the Cell Method. Computer Modeling in Engineering and Science, 2 (2): 237–258, 2001.Google Scholar
- A.A. Wells. Unstable Crack Propagation in Metals: Cleavage and Fast Fracture. Proc. Crack Propagation Symposium, 1: 210–230, 1961.Google Scholar