Approximate Analysis and Design Tools
Dynamic analysis generally implies the calculation of the time-history response (usually displacements and member forces). The response spectrum method of analysis is sometimes also used as a dynamic analysis method, because the response is computed in terms of mode shapes, although that is not dynamic analysis in a strict sense. Dynamic time history analysis of linear systems is now a practical and reliable analysis procedure. However, the analysis of nonlinear systems involves many difficulties and uncertainties and therefore is not yet recommended for routine use. The hysteretic properties of RC elements are functions of many different variables and difficult to reproduce analytically, as discussed in Chapter 2. The response of nonlinear systems can be very sensitive to the properties of the ground motion input. That means that in practice several possible inputs need to be selected and a nonlinear analysis performed for each. The unknown characteristics of future earthquakes adds to the uncertainties met in doing nonlinear analyses.
KeywordsBase Shear Spectral Acceleration Pushover Analysis Reinforce Concrete Frame Roof Displacement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [5.1]Freeman, S.A.: The capacity spectrum method for determining the demand displacement, ACI 1994 Spring Convention, San Francisco, CA, March 1994.Google Scholar
- [5.2]Blume, J.A.: A reserve energy technique for the earthquake design and rating of structures in the inelastic range, Proceedings, Vol. II, 2nd World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo, 1960.Google Scholar
- [5.3]Shibata, A. and M.A. Sozen: The substitute-structure method for seismic design in reinforced concrete, ASCE, Journal of the Structural Division, 102 (1976), no. ST1, 1–18.Google Scholar
- [5.4]Gülkan, P. and M.A. Sozen: Response and Energy Dissipation of Reinforced Concrete Frames Subjected to Strong Base Motions, Structural Research Series No. 377, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL, May 1971.Google Scholar
- [5.5]Moehle, J.P.: Displacement-based design of RC structures subjected to earthquakes, Earthquake Spectra, 8 (1992), no. 3.Google Scholar
- [5.6]Priestley, M.J.N. and Calvi, G.M.: Towards a capacity-design assessment procedure for reinforced concrete frames, Earthquake Spectra, 7 (1991), no. 3.Google Scholar
- [5.7]Park, R.: Ductile design approach for reinforced concrete frames, Earthquake Spectra, 2 (1986), no. 3.Google Scholar