A Comparative Study on the Assessment of Mechanical Properties of Porous and Heterogeneous Rocks by Various Averaging Methods
There are various approaches available in literature to asses mechanical properties of porous and/or heterogeneous rocks. However, engineers are always confused which one to use for designing structures in rock masses since these approaches do not always provide unique values. In this article, we first review the fundamental concepts of various approaches for modelling porous and/or heterogeneous rocks as equivalent continua. Then, the applications of these approaches to rocks having various types of pores or inclusions are compared and their validity is discussed.
KeywordsRepresentative Elementary Volume Rock Matrix Porous Rock Volumetric Fraction Mortar Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AURIAULT, J.L. (1983). Homogenisation: application to porous saturated media. Summer School on Two-Phase Medium Mechanics, Gdansk.Google Scholar
- AYDAN, Ö. (1997). Pressure dependency of porosity and permeability of rocks. Bulletin of Rock Mechanics, Ankara, TSRM, 13, 37–52.Google Scholar
- AYDAN, Ö., N. TOKASHIKI, T. SEIKI (1996). Micro-structure models for porous rocks to jointed rock mass APCOM’96, 3, 2235–2242.Google Scholar
- AYDAN, Ö., T. AKAGI, Y. SHIMIZU, T. KAWAMOTO (1997). Test for mechanical properties of fracture zones, ARMS’97, Seoul.Google Scholar
- BAKHVALOV, N. & G. PANASENKO (1984). Homogenization: Averaging processes in periodic media, Kluwer Academic Pub.Google Scholar
- JONES, R.M. (1975). Mechanics of composite materials, Hemisphere Pub. Co., New York.Google Scholar
- KAWAMOTO, T., T. KYOYA (1993). Some applications of homogenization method in rock mechanics. Seminar on Impacts of Computational Mechanics to Engineering Problems, Sydney.Google Scholar
- SANCHEZ-PALENCIA, E. (1980). Non-homogenous media and vibration theory. Lecture Note in Physics, No. 127, Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- TOKASHIKI, N., T. KYOYA and Ö. AYDAN (1995). A research on modelling porous rocks. Symp. on Num. Methods in the design and development of Agricultural Engineering Machinery, Agricultural Eng. Machinery Soc. of Japan, Okinawa, 65–79.Google Scholar
- VOIGT, W. (1910). Lehrbuch der Kristallphysik, Teubner, Berlin.Google Scholar