Modelling of Non-Linear Behaviour of a Road Embankment
A large number of methods applicable to the calculation of traffic load-induced stresses and strains are available today, but pavements are commonly designed using conventional, simplified methods. This paper deals with non-linear stresses and strains of a road embankment according to the Kenlayer program, which is used to analyse an elastic multilayer system of a flexible pavement under a circular loaded area. The program solves the stresses, strains and non-linear elastic moduli of the layers. FEM analyses are then carried out using the Plaxis program with a Mohr-Coulomb’s yield criterion. The influence of lateral stresses and Poisson’s ratio, which depend on the stress state, on the behaviour of the road embankment are analysed in particular. Finally, the calculation results are compared with results obtained by conventional means.
KeywordsEarth Pressure Vertical Stress Asphalt Concrete Lateral Stress Deformation Modulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown, S.F., Pell, P.S. (1967). An experimental investigation on the stresses, strains and deflections in a layered pavement structure subjected to dynamic loads. Proc. of the 2nd Int. Conf. on Structural Design of Asphalt Pavements. Ann Arbor, USA, pp. 478–504.Google Scholar
- Huang, Y.H. (1993). Pavement Analysis and Design. University of Kentucky. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA.Google Scholar
- Kolisoja, P. (1997). Resilient Deformation Characteristics of Granular Materials. Tampere University of Technology, Publications 223. Tampere, Finland.Google Scholar
- Odemark, N. (1949). Undersökningar av elasticitetsegenskaperna hos olika jordarter samt teori för beräkning av beläggningar enligt elasticitetsteorin. Statens Vaginstitut. Meddelande 77, Stockholm, Sweden, 1949.Google Scholar
- Rakennuskaivanto-ohje (1989). Finnish design guide for building excavations (in Finnish). RIL 181–1989. Vammala, Finland.Google Scholar
- Ullidtz, P. (1987). Pavement Analysis. Developments in Civil Engineering, 19. The Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby. Elsevier Publishers Company Inc., Amsterdam, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Uzan, J. (1985). Characterization of granular material. Transportation Research Record 1022, pp. 52–59.Google Scholar