A Note on Finite Element Modelling of Unsaturated Consolidation Problems
A first comparison between the performance of different models which may be adopted in the finite element analysis of unsaturated consolidation problems is presented. The fully coupled governing equations are recalled and the numerical formulation is presented. The numerical examples, performed assuming an elastic behaviour for the soil skeleton, show how models written in terms of different stress variables sets may be equally adopted in the analysis. Special attention is payed to the numerical implementation of the fully coupled problem on the onset of saturation and desaturation.
KeywordsWater Pressure Unsaturated Soil Saturation Degree Sand Column Oedometer Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CELIA M.A., E.T. BOULOUTAS & R.L. ZARBA (1990). A general mass-conservative numerical solution for the unsaturated flow equation. Water Resour. Res., Vol.26, No.7, pp. 1483–1496.Google Scholar
- DANGLA P. & O. COUSSY (1997). Consequences of a vanishing diffusion process in the drainage from a one dimensional sand column. Proc. NAFEMS World Congress, Vol.2, Stuttgart, pp.1326–1337.Google Scholar
- GENS A. (1996). Constitutive modelling: application to compacted soils. Keynote Lecture, 1st Int. Conf. Unsaturated Soils, E.E. Alonso & P. Delage Edts., Vol.3, pp.1179–1200.Google Scholar
- JOMMI C., J. VAUNAT, A. GENS, D. GAWIN & B.A. SCHREFLER (1997). Multiphase flow in porous media: a numerical benchmark. Proc. NAFEMS World Congress, Vol.2, Stuttgart, pp.1338–1349.Google Scholar
- OUYANG H. & D. XIAO (1994). Criteria for eliminating oscillation in analysis of heat conduction equation by finite-element method. Comm. in Num. Meth. Engng., Vol.10, pp.453–460.Google Scholar
- VAUNAT J., C. JOMMI & A. GENS (1997). A strategy for numerical analysis of the transition between saturated and unsaturated flow conditions. NUMOG VI, S. Pietruszczak & G.N. Pande Edts., Balkema, Rotterdam, pp.297–392.Google Scholar
- WHEELER S. J. & D. KARUBE (1996). Constitutive modelling. State of Art Report, 1st Int. Conf. Unsaturated Soils, E.E. Alonso & P. Delage Edts., Vol.3, pp. 1323–1356.Google Scholar