Finite Element Calculations on Haarajoki Test Embankment
The Finnish National Road Administration has organised an international competition to calculate the behaviour of the Haarajoki test embankment. Half of the embankment was constructed on vertically drained area and the other half on natural deposits without any ground improvement. The embankment lies on over 20 meters of overconsolidated clay and silt and it has been well instrumented. The Laboratory of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering at Helsinki University of Technology has been calculating the behaviour of this embankment with several methods. This paper concentrates on calculations with Sage-CRISP. Existing measurements have been used to verify and re-evaluate the soil parameters. The calculations are compared with the field measurements and the validity of finite element calculations is discussed. Especially, the modelling of the vertically drained area has been discussed.
KeywordsTriaxial Test Excess Pore Pressure Finite Element Calculation Oedometer Test Ground Improvement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AALTO A., (1998). The calculations on Haarajoki test embankment with the finite element program Plaxis 6.1. Proc. of 4th European Conference on Numerical Methods in Geotechnical Engineering, Udine, Italy, 14–16 October 1998. (To be submitted)Google Scholar
- ANVÄNDARHANDBOK (1994). Program Embankco. Version 1.02. Program for sättningberäkning för vägbank på finkornig jord (in Swedish).Google Scholar
- FINNISH NATIONAL ROAD ADMINISTRATION (FinnRA), (1997). Competition to calculate settlements at the Haarajoki test embankment. Competition programme.Google Scholar
- LEROUEIL S., MAGNAN, J-P. & TAVENAS, F., (1990). Embankments on Soft Clays. (English translation, D. Muir Wood.) Ellis Horwood, Chichester, England.Google Scholar
- NÄÄTÄNEN A., PUUMALAINEN N., SAARELAINEN K., AALTO A., LOJANDER M. & VEPSÄLÄINEN P. (1997). Estimation of settlement of the Haarajoki test embankment. Proceedings of the 6th Finnish Mechanical Days, September 5–6, 1997, Oulu, Finland. Eds. Aalto, J., Salmi, T. pp. 295–310.Google Scholar
- PLAXIS (1995) Finite Element Code for Soil and Rock Analyses. Version 6. P.A. Vermeer, R.B.J. Brinkgreve (eds.). A.A. Balkema. Rotterdam 1995.Google Scholar
- Sage CRISP (1995) User Guide and Technical Reference Guide. Version 3.02 Update. 1995.Google Scholar
- VEPSÄLÄINEN, P., (1990). Computers in Geomechanics. RIL 157–2, Geomechanics II. Handbook. Helsinki 1990, RIL. pp. 339–422. (In Finnish)Google Scholar
- ZSOIL V 3.11(1995). User’s guide. Zace Services Ltd, Lausanne.Google Scholar