A Numerical Analysis of Some Structural and Geotechnical Problems Observed at Vat Phu Monument Site
The relevant geotechnical and structural problems characterizing Vat Phu monument site (Lao People’s Democratic Republic) are briefly outlined, on the basis of a preliminary site visit and of the performed in situ investigation. After recalling the historical background of the site, the main engineering aspects to be considered in the possible resto¬ration of its monuments are outlined. Then, the results of some numerical analyses are pre¬sented, which aim at obtaining an insight into the causes that induced the observed severe damages of the ancient structures. The numerical results lead to some conclusions on the possible provisions which can be adopted for the stabilization and restoration of the site.
KeywordsFriction Angle Pore Water Pressure Direct Shear Test Foundation Soil Cone Penetration Test
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BAWA K.S. (1957). Laterite soils and their engineering characteristics, J. Soil Mech. Found. Div., Proc. ASCE, Vol.83, No.SM4.Google Scholar
- BISHOP A.W. (1954). The use of the slip surface in the stability analysis of slopes, Geo-technique.Google Scholar
- CIVIDINI A. (1995). Limit equilibrium methods for the stability analysis of reinforced earth structures (in Italian), Proc. 19th Italian Congress on Soil Mechanics, Pavia.Google Scholar
- CIVIDINI A. & G. GIODA (1992). Finite element analysis of direct shear tests on stiff clays, Int. J. Numer. Anal. Methods in Geomechanics, Vol.16.Google Scholar
- CIVIDINI A. & G. GIODA (1998). Geotechnical aspects of the restoration of Vat Phu site, Internal Report prepared for Lerici Foundation, Department of Structural Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, May 1998.Google Scholar
- HIMMELBLAU D.M. (1972) Applied non-linear programming, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- PICHARD P. (1997). The conservation of Vat Phu temple, UNESCO Assignment Report FIT/536/LAO/70, Bangkok.Google Scholar
- STERPI D. (1997). Influence of the strain localization phenomenon on the stability of underground openings (in Italian), Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Structural Engineering, Politecnico di Milano.Google Scholar
- TOWNSEND F.C. (1985). Geotechnical characteristics of residual soils, J. of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 111, No. 1Google Scholar