Universal Dental Robot — 6-DOF Mouth Opening and Closing Training Robot WY-5
This paper describes the mechanism, control method, and training results of the 6 degrees-of-freedom (DOF) mouth-opening and -closing training robot WY-5 (Waseda Yamanashi No. 5) that is an application of the Universal Dental Robot (UDR). The mouth-opening training is indicated for the rehabilitation of the patients suffering from disturbance of the mouth-opening and -closing. The six linear actuators manipulate the u-shaped end-effector of UDR. This u-shaped end-effector is a moving platform of 6-DOF parallel manipulator. Each linear actuator has displacement, velocity, and force sensor to measure the position and orientation of the u-shaped end-effector. The WY-5 is a master-slave parallel robot that manipulates the patient’s mandible that can’t widely open. The doctor grasps the 2-DOF master manipulator, and the 6-DOF slave manipulator opens the patient’s mandible according to the master manipulator’s motion. As the result of therapy by using WY-5 for two female patients who cannot open their mouth widely, the mouth opening distance increased.
KeywordsMouth Opening Parallel Mechanism Safety System Patient Manipulator Parallel Robot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Mai, T., Stoughton, R., Raju, G.J. (1992). Bilateral control for parallel-link manipulators. IMACS/SICE international symposium on robotics, mechatronics and manufacturing systems’92. 467–472.Google Scholar
- Miyairi, H. (1996). Evaluation of dental cutting technique using the patient robot. Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ). Vol. 14, No. 5, 28–32.Google Scholar
- Sohmura, T., and Takahashi, J. (1996). Present condition of dental CAD/CAM system to fabricate prostheses. Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan (RSJ). Vol. 14, No. 5, 33–37.Google Scholar
- Takanobu, H., and Takanishi, A. (1996). Biomechanical aspect of a mastication robot. CISM-IFToMM symposium on theory and practice of robots and manipulators (Ro.Man.Sy. 11). 251–258.Google Scholar
- Takanobu, H., and Takanishi, A. (1998). Dental robotics mouth opening and closing training robot. CISM-IFToMM symposium on theory and practice of robots and manipulators (Ro.Man.Sy. 12). 427–434.Google Scholar
- Uchiyama, Y. (1996). Oral device engineering system for the next generation as CAD/CAM. Shika gikou. Vol. 24, No. 1, 50–59.Google Scholar