Models and Methods of Analysis
Within the wider class of concrete dams, arch darns, although a minority in terms of relative numbers (fig. 1), form an important category. In fact, whenever local conditions (valley shape, mechanical properties of foundations) are favorable, they constitute a potentially advantageous option over other structural types. This is due to the fact that arch darns can be designed to withstand the design loads with an overall concrete volume that is, generally speaking, substantially less than for a gravity dam spanning the same valley. In other words, the material resistance is more effectively exploited.1.
KeywordsRock Mass Shape Function Response Spectrum Radial Displacement Total Potential Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- “Practice and Theory of Arch Dams” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Arch Dams Nanjing, 17–20 Oct 1992Google Scholar
- “Trial Load Method ofAnalyzing Dcnns” Bureau of Reclamation, Bulletin 1, Denver 1938Google Scholar
- F. Vogt, “Ueber die Berechnung der Fundamenideformation” Noske Videnskaps-Akademie, Oslo 192. 5Google Scholar
- Boussinesq, “Application des potentiels h I ‘elude de l’équilibre et du mouvement des solides èlastiques ” Google Scholar
- Boussinesq, Arch Dams. International Workshop on Arch Dams Coimbra 5–9 Apr. 1987 -Ed. A.Balkema, 1990Google Scholar
- Boussinesq, “Arch Dams. A Review of British Research & Development” Symposium, London, 20–21 March 1968 The Institution of Civil Engineerings - London, 1968Google Scholar
- M. Fanelli, “Rapid Preliminary Analysis of Arch Dams: The Ritter Method Revisited” Dam Engeneering, Vol I, Issue 2 -Apr. 1990Google Scholar
- M. Fanelli,A. Fanelli, P. Bonetti, “Non-linear Analysis in the preliminary evaluation of arch dam design” The International Journal of Hydropower & Dams, Vol I, Issue 6, Nov. 1994Google Scholar
- M. Fanelli, A. Fanelli, C. Galimberti, P. Palumbo, “A simple evaluation of the damping of free vibrations of an arch dam caused by acoustic radiation from reservoir bottom” Under review for publication on Hydropower & DamsGoogle Scholar
- Westergaard, “Water pressures on dams during earthquakes” Proc. 1931Google Scholar