An Innovative Actuation Concept for a New Hybrid Robotic System
- 2.3k Downloads
In this article a novel actuation concept of robotic manipulators is presented. The concept is based on an innovative extension of gravity balancing techniques using passive elements. It allows to exert, at the level of the end effector, a force of variable intensity and generic spatial orientation without any motor torque required during any movement of the manipulator, except when a change of the exerted force’s intensity and/or orientation is requested. So, a new hybrid machine can be realized combining the benefits of active and passive existing systems without their drawbacks, with possible very high potentials in robotics applications.
KeywordsBipedal Robot Motor Torque Passive Element Haptic Interface Orientation Mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Barents, M. Schenk, W.D. van Dorsser, B.M. Wisse, and J.L. Herder. Spring-to-spring balancing as energy-free adjustment method in gravity equilibrators. ASME, 2009.Google Scholar
- P. Duysinx and M. Geradin. An introduction to robotics: Mechanical aspects. University of Liège, 2004.Google Scholar
- A. Fattah and SK Agrawal. Gravity-balancing of classes of industrial robots. In Robotics and Automation, 2006. ICRA 2006. Proceedings 2006 IEEE International Conference on, pages 2872–2877. IEEE, 2006.Google Scholar
- V. Hayward, P. Gregorio, O. Astley, S. Greenish, M. Doyon, L. Lessard, J. McDougall, I. Sinclair, S. Boelen, X. Chen, et al. Freedom-7: A high fidelity seven axis haptic device with application to surgical training. Experimental Robotics V, pages 443–456, 1998.Google Scholar
- T. Kikuchi, Y. Jin, K. Fukushima, H. Akai, and J. Furusho. Study on development of active-passive rehabilitation system for upper limbs: Hybridplemo. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, volume 149, pageGoogle Scholar
- 012016. IOP Publishing, 2009.Google Scholar
- C.C. Lan and J.Y. Wang. Design of adjustable constant-force forceps for robot-assisted surgical manipulation. In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2011 IEEE International Conference on, pages 386–391. IEEE, 2011.Google Scholar
- C.C. Lan, J.H. Wang, and Y.H. Chen. A compliant constant-force mechanism for adaptive robot end-effector operations. In Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2010 IEEE International Conference on, pages 2131–2136. IEEE, 2010.Google Scholar
- P.Y. Lin, W.B. Shieh, and D.Z. Chen. Design of a gravity-balanced general spatial serial-type manipulator. Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics (Transactions of the ASME), 2(3), 2010.Google Scholar
- T.H. Massie and J.K. Salisbury. The phantom haptic interface: A device for probing virtual objects. In Proceedings of the ASME winter annual meeting, symposium on haptic interfaces for virtual environment and teleoperator systems, volume 55, pages 295–300, 1994.Google Scholar