Progress and puzzles in nonlinear elasticity
These lectures are largely based on two previous survey articles (2001), (2002), and cover a selection of open problems with some new remarks and updates. But they also give an introduction to the convexity conditions that are the objects of study of this course.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.A. Adams and J.J.F. Fournier. Sobolev Spaces. Academic Press, Second edition, 2003.Google Scholar
- J.M. Ball. Singularities and computation of minimizers for variational problems. In R. DeVore, A. Iserles, and E. Suli, editors, Foundations of Computational Mathematics. Cambridge University Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- J.M. Ball. Some open problems in elasticity. In Geometry. Mechanics, and Dynamics, pages 3-59. Springer, New York, 2002.Google Scholar
- J.C. Bellido and C. Mora-Corral. Approximation of Hölder continuous homeomorphisms by piecewise affine homeomorphisms. arXiv:0806.3366vl [math.CA]Google Scholar
- CM. Dafermos. Hyperbolic Conservation Laws in Continuum Physics. Second Edition, volume 325 of Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005.Google Scholar
- D. Henao and C. Mora-Corral. Invertibility and weak continuity of the determinant for the modelling of cavitation and fracture in nonlinear elasticity, in preparation.Google Scholar
- D. Henao and C. Mora-Corral. Fracture surfaces and the regularity of inverses for BV deformations, in preparation.Google Scholar
- C. Mora-Corral. Approximation by piecewise homeomorphisms of Sobolev homeomorphisms that are smooth outside a point. Houston J. Math., in press.Google Scholar
- C.B. Morrey. Multiple Integrals in the Calculus of Variations, Springer, 1966.Google Scholar
- J. Nečas. Example of an irregular solution to a nonlinear elliptic system with analytic coefficients and conditions for regularity. In Theory of Nonlinear Operators, pages 197–206, Berlin, 1977. Akademie-Verlag.Google Scholar
- E.N. Spadaro. Non-uniqueness of minimizers for strictly polyconvex functional. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal, 2009, in press.Google Scholar
- C. Truesdell and W. Noll, The non-linear field theories of mechanics. In Handbuch der Physik, Vol. III/3m ed. S. Flügge, Springer, Berlin, 1965.Google Scholar