A Modification to the Method of Garabedian and Korn
A modification is described to the method of Garabedian and Korn for calculating the potential flow round aerofoils. When the flow is supercritical and shock waves are present, the modification enables a solution to be obtained intermediate between the two extremes — non-conservative (N-C) and conservative (C) — of the existing method. A parameter λ (between 0 and 1) is introduced which leads to a N-C solution of λ = 0 and to a C solution if λ = 1, while taking an intermediate value allows the solution to be adjusted so that the pressure jump across the shock wave is a reasonable approximation to the true physical (Rankine-Hugoniot) jump. In this way it is hoped to achieve an overall solution which is closer to a solution of the full Euler equations while retaining the computational speed of the Garabedian and Korn method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.R. Garabedian D.G. Korn Analysis of transonic aerofoils. Comm. Pure App. Math., Vol 24, pp 841–851 (1971)Google Scholar
- 2.F. Bauer P.R. Garabedian D.G. Korn Supercritical wing sections. (Lecture notes in economics and mathematical systems, No 66) Springer-Verlag (1972)Google Scholar
- 3.F. Bauer P.R. Garabedian D.G. Korn A. Jameson Supercritical wing sections II. (Lecture notes in economics and mathematical systems, No 108) Springer-Verlag (1975)Google Scholar
- 4.A. Jameson Numerical computation of transonic flows with shock waves. Symposium Transsonicum II, p 384, Springer-Verlag (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.E.M. Murman Analysis of embedded shock waves calculated by relaxation methods. Proc. AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Palm Springs, July 1973Google Scholar
- 6.M.R. Collyer R.C. Lock Improvements to the viscous Garabedian and Korn method (VGK) for calculating transonic flow past an aerofoil. RAE Technical Report 78039 (1978)Google Scholar
- 7.J.L. Steger B.S. Baldwin Shock waves and drag in the numerical calculation of isentropic transonic flow. NASA TND-6997 (1972)Google Scholar
- 8.K. Oswatitsch J. Zierep Das problem des senkrechten stosses an einen gekrümmten wand. ZAMM 40, p 143 (1960)Google Scholar
- 9.C.C.L. Sells Numerical solutions of the Euler equations for transonic flow past a lifting aerofoil. Paper to be presented at GAMM Workshop, Stockholm, September 1979Google Scholar